Wetchport

"For the last time, Faye, I said no," I repeated, carrying my pack out to rest beside Darius who was prepped and ready for flight. Faye trailed closely behind me, practically stepping on my heels as she did so. 

"Please, Asha," she begged. "I can be useful, you know I can."

I turned, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I know," I swallowed, my eyes flickering down to her lips for a fraction of a second. "But I can't risk you. If we have any chance defeating the Slayers, we're going to need you. Plus, I won't have you risking your life any further for me."  

"But you just said yourself I'll be fighting in this war," she argued. 

I sighed, watching as Nik lingered by the doors of the Fort in an attempt to give us space. "Faye, I need you here to be sure the villages are safe while I'm away." She glared at me. "Someone has to keep Darius company," I added.

She rolled her eyes, turning to walk away. "I've become a glorified babysitter, then?" she called over shoulder.

"More of a lord watching over a kingdom!" I shouted as she passed Nik and slipped through the grand doors. I huffed, looking to Darius who seemed unsure of how to offer any help. 

Nik was at my side with a chuckle. "She'll be alright," he said, looking behind us at the Fort. "You're making the right decision, you know? She's pivotal to the battle to come."

"I just want to keep her safe," I replied, turning to leave Nik. 

I followed Faye's path, finding the great room empty. I continued on until I found her in my chambers. Her figure was obscured by the thin curtain which billowed in the ocean air as usual. I joined her wordlessly at the railing, both of us admiring the darkening horizon. Tonight was the full moon--the darkest night in the moon cycle--conveniently picked to conceal our flight down the coast. We stood there until the light was just about gone from in front of us. 

Finally, Faye stirred beside me. "I made you something," she said quietly. I looked over to her, her features barely visible in the dark. She pushed away from the railing, leading me back into my chambers. She'd lit a single candle. I watched as she cupped her hand around the flame, guiding it to light the other candles that stood cold on the table. When a soft glow hovered over the wooden surface, Faye placed a fur-wrapped package in it's center. I approached, looking to Faye for approval. She nodded, and I reached out to unwrap the object. When the furs fell open, a dagger rested in them. It's hilt was a glittering silver, with vines engraved down the handle. An encircled flame was carved into the pommel. I reached out to take it, but Faye's fingertips ghosted on my wrist.

"I succeeded," she said. "This is the poison weapon I was trying to perfect a few nights ago. I did it." 

I smiled. "Just watch the blade," she warned. "The hilt is fine."

I picked it up from the table. It was well balanced, and the hilt fit nicely in my palm. Upon closer, examination, I realized the darkness of the blade itself. "The blade is black?" I pointed out.

Faye nodded, reaching out for the dagger. We careful shifted the weapon from one hand to another. She held the knife up to one of the candles, the light now clearly revealing the dark color of the blade. 

"Why?" I asked. Faye set the dagger down, tossing one of the corners of the fur over it to ensure we wouldn't cut ourselves. "It's Salt Metal," she answered. "Salt Metal comes from the Charted Isle, the island closest to The Mapp. It's a hardened steel that comes from the sea. You can trust that it will not break." 

"Thank you, Faye," I said softly, my eyes finding hers.

She gazed back at me, nothing but candlelight illuminating our faces. "Just... don't die. Please," she sighed.