Heal

"So let me get this straight," I said, trying to summarize all that Nikolai had just explained to me, "your father made a deal with the Dragon Slayers to protect his kingdom from intruders and all those who might be dangerous? I'm guessing that's just a nice way of putting 'the king wants all creatures exterminated in order to maintain his crown'."

Nik scoffed, "Not exactly. Trust me I'm the last person to advocate for my father's methods of ruling, but he means well by his alliance with the Shadow Bandits."

I shot Nik an unconvinced look. We had begun our trek to wherever the dragons were secretly stationed. We'd slipped through the gates in the garden, Nik whispering something I can only imagine as being suggestive to the guard posted there. Based on the look I got from said guard and the wink he'd given Nik afterward, my mind filled in the gaps on what the man was told of our reasoning for leaving the castle perimeter. Even though a different color had been out on our walk in the eyes of the guards, I could tell Nik would never overstep a boundary like that—the physical distance he kept from me proved that much.

"He only wants his people safe, and an alliance the Smoke Bandits is easier than one with creatures he doesn't understand."  Nik reasoned.

"Well then, it's a good thing you'll be king one day soon," I mumbled.

Nik slowed his pace, his eyes dancing over my face as a soft and appreciative smile spread across his own. No teeth, just a gentle, close-lipped smile. "Thank you, Asha. Truly."

I raised my eyebrows at him, laughing a little, "Sure. Why the gratefulness?"

He picked his pace back up, drawing his lips in with a shrug, "I've been doubted by most people in the Greenbrock court of my capabilities of ruling. I guess it's nice to know there's someone out there who looks forward to my time under the crown."

I wondered what kind of childhood Nikolai had. I wondered if he always had the visions, and what possessing that capability did to his upbringing.

"I think you'll make a good king," I told him. "Of course, I've only known you about an hour."

Nik offered a chuckle.

"Based on this hour it seems you have a good head on your shoulders. You're certainly not stupid," I mentioned kindly, "I think you could restore and maintain a balance between the human and creature worlds."

"I'd certainly hope so." He said quietly.

There was a pause before I finally decided to voice some of the many questions sprouting in my mind, "Do you have visions of yourself? Of your own future?"

His eyebrows came to a pinch, his tongue coming out to wet his lips. He drew in a deep breath, expelling it through his words, "I'm not sure, really. I've had some obscure visions—dreams—that could've been a mention to me, but, I don't really know."

I hummed, my own eyebrows furrowing in thought. Nik broke through those thoughts soon after I began to trail down a rabbit hole of unspoken questions, "I have a few questions that need answering as well."

I cast a glance over to him, smiling a bit, "Well go on then."

He smiled, "I've heard dragon riders can telepathically communicate with their Flight. Is that true?"

A genuine smile broke over my face, "Yes, it's true."

"Interesting," He murmured, as if taking a note. "So how does that work? Does it just sound like someone is speaking to you, or is it like your own thought?"

"It's more like an echo of a voice inside my head," I explained. "So, I suppose... a bit of both."

He bit the inside of his cheek, his eyes casting upward as we strolled through the flourishing woods of Greenbrock. "Is the voice in draconic?"