Chapter Five: No.

Harley

Who knew that you could actually tolerate someone you've absolutely hated for so long in just a week?

Well, I guess that just happened.

I stared emptily at my sandwich on the lunch tray and let my thoughts consume me entirely. I could feel the noises of the cafeteria surrounding me fade away into silence. Most of these thoughts were concerned with a certain brown-haired, blue-green eyed popular girl who got this crazy idea that she could trust me with something as serious as. . . you know what happened.

I shook my head in disbelief. Everybody knows that all I'm good for is taking girls on dates or into my bedroom or both. What the fuck does she want?

I tried to shake away the memory from that night at the party but I couldn't. Everytime it played like a broken record in my mind, a wound that was hidden and buried deep somewhere in me ached-- wanting to be felt, dealt with, desperately in need of attention.

Attention that I don't think I'll ever be ready to give.

Wyatt was sick and at home which meant I'm to be completely alone today at school. Today wasn't a particularly pleasant day either. The winter dance was in two weeks and people were busy asking other people out. The rejected folk sat around and ranted, cried, did whatever rejected people do.

I had had a bunch of girls ask me out. But I'd already decided that I wasn't going. I haven't been into dance or singing ever since. . . him.

I waited for lunch to get over. I'd lost my appetite. Brielle hasn't talked to me since that date at the cafè. I felt guilty for cutting her off like that. I knew I was being rude. I knew I could've been nicer. But at the moment, for some stupid reason that I couldn't really put my finger on, I just snapped. The weird thing is that I'm known to be calm and composed with people. I've never snapped like that. Ever.

Why the fuck did you snap, then?

I have no idea.

Samantha Winston is messing with me without even knowing it. I guess that's what she does to people. I just thought I was more immune to it than most people.

I shook my head at my own thoughts and decided to listen to some music to pass time.

I was about to plug my earphones in when I felt a certain presence behind me, partly owing to the sudden lack of noise in the room.

I knew who it was before I turned around. The strawberry perfume was overpowering. I guess she decided to take a shower in it today morning.

I turned around and was met by a thin, belt-clad waist, tight blue jeans and heels. I looked up and locked eyes with Samantha.

"Hey, Harley."

"Hi."

"I'm going to cut straight to the chase."

"Good."

"Are you going to the winter dance with somebody? Brielle Harris perhaps, even though students from other schools are technically not allowed?"

How the fuck does she know her full name?

"N-no, I'm not going. Period."

Damn my stupid stutter.

She pouted at that in a mocking way.

"Oh, really? Well, I'm gonna try anyway. Would you like to be my date for the winter dance, Harley?"

The whole cafeteria was dead silent. She looked absolutely unaffected by the deafening lack of noise, bored even, hands midway into her front jean pockets.

I fixed my gaze on her soft brown hair, flowing past her shoulders and the perfectly defined eyebrows, one of them slightly arched.

I stood up and looked down at her. Even in heels, she was a few inches shorter than me. I gave her a piercing stare, pinning her to the spot. I saw uncertainty flicker across her eyes for just a second and then she took a step back.

"I don't wanna dance, Sam. I'm sorry."

She smiled.

"No."

My eyebrows arose on their own accord.

"What do you mean no?"

"By no, I mean no, Harley. I rejected twelve guys for you. You're coming with me."

"You can't force me."

She took a taunting step forward. I stood my ground, but I could feel my heartbeat quicken. She took another step and then another and another until she was only a few inches from my face. I could feel her warm breath hit my face. Her eyes locked with mine. I realized that my hands were hanging limply by my sides and feeling awkward, I immediately shoved them into my pockets.

I realized that I'd suddenly lost the ability to form words. I was just staring and staring and staring. And so was she.

The silence grew more comfortable and intimate as she wrapped her arm around my shoulders and pulled me against her. The warmth of her body engulfed me and I could feel myself back at the party, in Brandon's room, except this time, she wasn't sad. Not at all. If anything, she was feeling flirtatious.

My eyes widened at the action but I didn't move. I was still looking into her eyes, hypnotised. My mind wasn't working anymore. My heart was beating at a rate so fast, it felt like I'd just finished running a marathon. Or. . .two. . . marathons.

She leaned close, eyes lingering on my lips and then my neck. She pressed a swift kiss to the spot right below my ear that made me inhale sharply. She moved her mouth to my ear and whispered, "Do I have to work that hard for you?"

And then she pulled away and was suddenly standing a few feet away. I felt the sudden need to hold onto something. Anything. But I knew that it meant she affected me in some way and in front of everybody watching.

Everybody.

I cleared my throat. The air surrounding us was now filled with hushed whispers.

I cocked my head at her mockingly. She imitated me and smiled teasingly.

I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Maybe one dance. Just one."

"One's good," she stated, and gave me a quick peck on the cheek before walking away, out of the cafeteria while I stared at her retreating figure in surprise and the cafeteria burst into cheers and hoots around my weakening body.

Oh, fuck me.

***

Hey!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Lemme know what you think.

Love ya,

queenred