Chapter Thirty Seven: Sparkle.

Samantha

I walked out of the hospital and onto the clear, empty spot beside the parking lot. It was early in the morning now. My eyes felt heavy, the wind cold and contemptible against my tired, aching body.

"Where are you?" my mom growled through the phone. I held the phone a little away from me in response, not because she was loud, but because her tone was colder than the morning air.

"I'm at the hospital. My. . . um, friend, got into an accident. Just wanted to make sure she's okay."

There was silence from the other end for a few seconds.

"Is she alright?" she asked, her voice suddenly softer. It was creepy like that. I suddenly wished she would go back to her usual cold, mean self.

"Yes, she's fine."

"Good, good, that's, um. . . that's good. You should've informed us though."

"I'm sorry, Mom."

"Would you like me to get you something to eat? I know you probably didn't eat anything."

I paused.

It's true. I hadn't.

"I can manage on my own. I've got some money."

"Well, buy something then. And do something about your skin. The season is not in favor of how dry your skin can be. You got that from your father, unfortunately."

I touched my lips. They were chapped, dry, cracked almost.

"I will," I replied meekly.

"Samantha, can I ask you something? I can't think of a better time. Your father's at the office and it's better if he's not with me when I ask you this."

I froze. How the fuck could she have possibly-

"Is your friend actually your girlfriend?"

I almost dropped my phone on the cold ground.

"You can say yes if it's true, Samantha," she said, her voice smooth, not a hint of malice or anger anywhere.

"How. . ." my voice faltered.

"I'm a mother. We usually know more than you think. Besides, you look so excited every time you mention this friend of yours. And you looked terribly worried on your way back. Like you were scared to death about something after that phone call at the cemetery. Usually when you're worried a lot, you crack a few jokes in an attempt to alleviate the tension. But this time, you were too tense to even do that. I just didn't question it because I was a little shaken up myself after our trip. I'd recognize that anywhere. Perry was like that with Ashley."

I waited, letting that sink in. I think she could tell that I was taking her words in, tasting them, letting them sink in. She was patient, if nothing else.

". . . yes," I pushed out.

There was silence again.

"I see," came the reply.

I let out a shaky breath.

"What happens now?" I said nervously.

She chuckled slightly at that. It was a rare sound, her laughing. It felt largely comforting, like a warm blanket and a cup of coffee. But she usually reserved it for the people she wanted to charm and impress at office meetings or business parties. Those were fake. But I could tell this one was real.

"You get to decide when you want to tell everybody. But I can promise you that you are still very much welcome and loved."

That took a while to sink in, but when it finally did, the morning suddenly felt brighter, the sky more beautiful, the air more fulfilling and warm. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. All those years of feeling pressured into pretending to be something that I'm not vaporized like they were nothing, just because she said that. I laughed involuntarily, my hands trembling with excitement.

"I. . . I never thought I'd ever hear you say that."

"I just needed to make things right with at least one of my daughters."

The thought of Perry didn't sting anymore. In fact, everytime, she was accompanied by the warm, glowing face of Ashley. And the world didn't feel so terrible anymore. But then with that thought came a few insecurities. It's hard to believe that things could go too well.

"What about Dad?" I said, my voice barely a whisper.

"We'll face him together," she whispered back.

"Okay," I replied, smiling to myself.

"Come back home by noon, Sam," she said.

"I will, Mom. See you then."

"I love you, Samantha."

"I love you, too, Mom."

The line got cut after a few seconds of silence in which our words reached deep into our hearts and found a home there.

I sat down heavily on the bench near the parking lot and pulled out my earphones, plugging them in, my limbs finally put to rest and still difficult to move about, fatigue crowding my senses. But there was a certain peace about me now.

Smoking cigarettes on the roof

You look so pretty and I love this view

We fell in love in October

That's why I love fall

Looking at the stars

Admiring from afar

My girl, my girl, my girl

You will be my girl

My girl, my girl, my girl

The wind brushed up against my flushed, tear-stained skin and caressed my messily braided hair. The pink clouds made strange shapes in the sky, which was growing bluer by the minute, leaving everything to the imagination.

And I could think about nothing other than the sparkle in my girlfriend's eyes and the pinkness of her soft, plump lips, and the satisfaction that came with those very thoughts, sensations that I'd never felt before.

***

Hey guys!

Sorry for not updating for so long. My finals are ongoing. And my creativity has not been flowing. But either way, I'm here now!

I apologize for how short the recent chapters are, including this one. I promise long, heavily detailed ones in the future. Most of these new ones are fillers, born to bridge in the gaps and lead up to the biggest, most significant moments that I haven't quite mapped out yet.

But I do hope you enjoyed it as this chapter is significant in its own way, especially for Samantha, regardless of how the story proceeds. Lemme know what you think :)

Love you,

queenred

Song mentioned in this chapter:

we fell in love in october--girl in red