nineteen

Any time I saw the hospital's number appear on my phone, my heart would freeze, and I'd instantly assume the worst - that my sister's test results were bad, or that she needed to be examined further for this issue or that problem. So needless to say when I was jolted awake by my phone buzzing on the pillow beside me and the hospital's number blaring in my face, anxiety crashed and rolled through me like the ocean waves in a storm.

"H-Hello?" I answered, trying to keep my nerves from reverberating through my voice.

"Natalie Owens?" the woman on the other end droned in a nasally voice.

"Speaking." I swallowed hard, bracing myself as if I was about to be hit by a train.

"I'm calling in regards to Melanie Mazza," the woman continued in her monotone voice. "She has you listed as her emergency contact. It says she's your maternal aunt, is that correct?"

I had to close my eyes and lay back in my bed to dull the throbbing in my body. My pillow still smelled like Brooklyn, all musky and warm. I exhaled. For just a moment, I actually had to remind myself that Melanie Mazza was indeed my aunt.

"Miss Owens?" the voice on the other end thrummed in my ears, breaking me from my daze.

"Yes uh...yes, she's my aunt," I croaked out. "Has something happened? Is she alright?"

"Can you confirm that you both still live at 65 East 10th Street in Devils Point?"

I exhaled sharply out of my nose and clenched my jaw. "Yes, now can you tell me what's going on?"

"She had a fall this morning walking into the Devils Point community center. We are waiting for the x-ray results, but we believe she fractured her ankle. If you could please get to the ER as quickly as possible, we can give you more details then."

I groaned as I hung up the phone and dropped it into my mess of sheets. It was nearly 11 am, but dreariness of the rain outside made it feel like perpetual night. Thunder rattled my window frame. I managed to rouse myself from bed, then padded down the hall to my sister's room. The only light in the room came from Nikki's phone screen, bathing her tan skin in a frosty blue glow. She laid in bed surrounded by purple pillows, mindlessly scrolling her social media. I scowled and flicked the light on.

"What the hell Nat?" she groaned.

"I'm going to the hospital." I said curtly.

Nikki moaned again, rubbing her eyes. "I don't have any appointments today."

"I just said I'm going." I picked up what looked to be a clean shirt from off the floor and threw it at her. "Aunt Mel like...broke her ankle or something walking into the community center."

The news didn't seem to phase Nikki at all. She snorted out a breath. "Probably still just drunk from last night. Did you see the way she was "

"Whatever, I'm just letting you know I'm leaving."

I knew I was being short with her, but I couldn't bring myself to just let it go. I couldn't ignore her either. That's the kind of thing you regret in the end.

Nikki finally sat up and glanced at me with furrowed brows.

"Are you still mad at me about last night?" she gave me a dramatic pout.

"Yes, I'm still mad at you," I snapped, turning my shoulder towards her. "What you did was just...uncalled for."

Nikki pulled her wrinkled grey beanie down further on her head. "Give me a break, Nat. It's not like you to hold a grudge. Besides, two months ago you would have said and done the exact same thing."