thirty-five

I wasn't sure how I had initially gotten roped into Sunday brunch with Nikki and her friends, but by now bottomless mimosas and french toast had become a staple in my weekend plans. The fact that I even had "weekend plans" was still a foreign concept to me, though it had become Nikki's favorite task to dress me up like she would dress up a doll.

Nikki had stopped wearing her wigs, claiming that colorful hair was suddenly too tacky for her, and she was now rocking a short blonde pixie cut. She returned to our table with more mimosas, and Raquel eagerly grabbed two. Fallen leaves danced across the patio deck in the crisp autumn air. I pulled my sweater tighter over my chest as I reached for my drink. Raquel nudged me, almost spilling my mimosa on the plum-colored dress I borrowed from my sister.

"Listen babe, all I'm saying is my brother is very single and you are very much his type." Raquel didn't slur her words, but I could tell she'd had one mimosa too many as she pulled on the sleeve of my cardigan.

"Raquel, I already told you I'm not interested in dating anybody." I yanked away my arm. Nikki giggled from the other side of the table and shook her head.

My phone buzzed beside her, and an unknown number with a New York City area code popped up on the screen.

"I think I should take this," I said before sliding myself out of my chair and walking to an empty corner of the patio.

"Hello?"

"Hi, I'm looking to speak to Natalie Owens," a young woman's voice chirped on the other end.

"Yes, this is she," I responded. I started to pace around an empty table.

"Hi Natalie, this is Marlene Hunt from the Hunt Agency, how are you today?"

I stopped pacing and felt my heart thump heavily in my chest.

"Oh, um, I'm...I'm great, thank you. What can I do for you?" I tried to keep my voice steady, but my nerves were firing on overdrive. I'd submitted my manuscript to over 15 agents in the last two weeks, but Marlene Hunt was at the top of my list.

"Well, I've just read through your manuscript, and I have to say I'm enthralled with your novel. The voice of the characters absolutely shines, and you've artfully crafted a story and a romance that is both sweet but so heartbreaking. I've never encountered a writer that's written so honestly about such taboo subjects like substance abuse."

"Thank you," I breathed out. "That really means a lot to me."

"The story feels incredibly personal."

"It is," I nodded, choking back tears. Happy tears, I think. "Very personal."

"Well, I'd love to represent you and champion this novel for you. We can set up a Zoom call to go over it in more detail if you accept."

"Oh, of course, absolutely," I replied, not bothering to hide the excitement in my voice. "I'm available any time."

"Perfect, my assistant will email you and we'll be in touch."

I hung up and clutched my phone tightly in my hands. I looked back at the table of Nikki and her friends cackling like crazy hyenas. I decided I would wait until I was alone with Nikki to tell her. I didn't want to share the moment with anyone else.

 I didn't want to share the moment with anyone else