14- Wakanda

Cap walked to the cockpit of the Quinjet as it hurled through the air faster than any normal jet.

"Drop to 2600, heading 0-3-0." Steve said to Sam.

Sam hit a few buttons. "I hope you're right about this or we're gonna land a lot faster than you want to." He said as we were aiming straight towards the mountainside.

I sat at the very back of the ship.

Nat looked back and gave me a soft comforting smile as Wanda was still comforting Vision from his wounds.

Just as we were about to hit the mountain the scenery changed as we passed through some sort of technological image deflector and a giant city appeared in front of us.

I stood up to look out the cockpit.

"Holy shit." I said in awe. "That's amazing."

Steve gave a look.

"Don't you dare say it." I said to him due to his countless reminders telling me to watch my language.

Over the years Steve and Nat pretty much became my guardians. I hadn't seen my parents in a long time and I couldn't exactly go home.

Sam maneuvered us through the city as we landed at what I could imagine was the royal palace.

We were greeted with a fairly large landing party as T'Challa and his royal guards awaited us.

Bruce pulled on his jacket as we departed from the jet. "Should we bow?" He asked Rhodey.

"Yeah, he's a king."

"Seems like I'm always thanking you for something." Steve said as he shook hands with T'Challa.

Bruce cleared his throat as he bowed.

"What are you doing" Rhodey asked him.

T'Challa looked at Bruce. "We don't do that here."

Rhodey and I shared a laugh.

"So how big of an assault should we be expecting." T'Challa asked.

"Uh, sir. I think you should expect quite a big assault." Bruce said getting in the conversation.

"How are we looking?" Natasha asked.

"You'll have my kingsguard, the Border Tribe, The Dora Milaje, and." T'Challa said motioning to the next person.

"A semi stable hundred year old man." Bucky said as him and Steve shared a hug.

Bucky looked at me. "I see you and Nat adopted." He said laughing.

"Hilarious Bucky, nice to see you still got your humor." I said socking him in the stomach.

"How you been Buck." Steve asked smiling.

"Uh, not bad, for the end of the world." He replied.

***
Shuri scanned Vision's body so her and her team could begin the extraction of the mind stone.

"Why did you come up here?" Wanda asked me from the other room.

"I'm back up." I said to her.

She nodded before we entered the lab.

"Whoa." Banner said in awe of the advanced technology.

Shuri looked at the stone in awe. "The structure is polymorphic."

"Right, we had to attach each neuron non-sequentially." Banner said as the nerds discussed.

"Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively?"

"Because we didn't think of it." Banner said as we all watched the very long discussion.

"I'm sure you did your best." Shuri said mocking him.

"Can you do it?" Wanda asked worried.

"Yes, but there are more than two trillion neurons here. One misalignment could cause a cascade of circuit failures. It will take time brother." Shuri said looking at T'Challa.

"How long?" Steve asked.

"As long as you can give me."

As if on cue the atmospheric alarms started blaring.

"Somethings entered the atmosphere." Okoye said pulling a map.

"Suit up, we need to get ready. It's only a matter of time."

"Wanda, Carter. Protect Vision." Steve said patting my back.

"Don't die." I said to Natasha.

She whispered in my ear. "If you're going to tell her something you better do it because in our line of work you may not get tomorrow."

I nodded looking at Wanda who was watching us intently. She clearly knew we were talking about her.

"Hey Cap, we gotta situation here." Sam said as he stood on the landing platform with Bucky as one of the spaceships crashed directly onto of the city exploding as it made contact with the protective force field.

"Don't start celebrating yet guys. We got more incoming outside the dome." Rhodey said.

"It's too late." Vision said struggling to get up. "We need to destroy the stone now."

"Vision, get your ass back on that table." Nat said as I slowly pushed Vision back on to the table.

I flicked my watch and relaxed and my suit began to fold over the top of me.

"We will hold them off." T'Challa said walking out.

"Wanda, as soon as that stones out of his head, you blow it to hell." Cap said to her.

Wanda's eyes teared up and it felt like I was punched in the gut. Seeing her upset made my insides hurt.

"Evacuate the city. Engage all defenses." I heard T'Challa say as he left the room. "And get this man a shield."

Wanda and I watched the battle commence below as the two massive armies pushed towards each other.

It took me awhile before I realized I was holding my breath.

"This is a lot different than Germany." I said trying to break the tension a little.

Wanda smiled out at me as she reached out and grabbed my hand.

The wall opened a little bit and the army's flooded through.

So much blood, I had never dreamed of being in a war. Let alone become a super hero.

We were struggling.

There was far too many of them.

We were out numbered and out gunned and I just watched helplessly.

The building suddenly shook and a rainbow pillar suddenly arched from the sky striking the ground. What looked like an axe covered in lightning flew around in circles taking out anything in his path.

The rainbow pillar disappeared and Thor stood in the middle of it.

New found confidence exploded in my chest as the heroes got their second wind.

Thor started forward. He leapt in the air and the clouds turned dark and lightning arched through the sky.

"I'm going out there." I said to Wanda.

"Carter, you cant." Wanda pleaded.

I looked at her. "They need me, I can't sit helpless and watch. I'm a hero. It's my duty."

She fell back defeated. She was scared.

"Wanda." I said to her.

She cocked her head confused.

"I may never get the chance to do this again." I said to her.

I quickly pulled her towards me and put my lips against hers, I felt her fall into the kiss.

I opened my eyes and looked at the battlefield and in a cloud of silver mist I was gone.