27- Assembled

Moments earlier...

"Carter." A voice said as a heavy boot hit him in the side.

"Carter." Another voice said weaseling his way into his head.

"Carter!" The originally voice spoke as a hand smacked his face. "We need to move."

My eyes flew open and my hands immediately went to my legs. Bucky and Sam leaned over me as if they had been waiting for some time.

I had only closed my eyes for what felt like ten minutes and the last thing I remembered was seeing Wanda's pale face crying as my hand caressed her cheek, dust filled the air as feeling left my legs and before I knew it they were no longer there.

I let out a sharp sigh of relief before standing up.

Sam and Bucky helped me to my feet and we brought it in for a quick hug before we got to business.

Thanos.

"Where are the others?" I asked as we walked through the old battlefield which had surprisingly nurtured back to health fast.

An uneasy feeling set in my stomach.

Something wasn't right.

"In the palace." Bucky said.

"What happened. The battlefield isn't even a battlefield anymore. My legs were gone. Thanos?"

I began rambling on.

"We're about to get our answers shortly." Sam said as we were greeted at the door by T'Challa.

"Good to have you back brothers." He said in his thick accent. "Come with me, we have much to discuss."

We followed him through the palace until we entered the war room.

Okoye stood at the front of the room. Shuri and T'Challa sat next to his little sister Shuri while Bucky, Sam, and I sat across from him. M'Baku stood behind T'Challa ready for a fight.

"I am Groot." A voice said from the corner of the room who I hadn't seen before. He was one of the alien friends. A literal tree.

My phone was slid across the table to me.

"I'll start." Okoye said as the tv turned on behind her. "Five years ago, Thanos snapped his fingers causing half of the universe living being to die. Seven weeks later the Avengers killed Thanos after finding out the stones had been destroyed."

"So we died five years ago!" I asked nearly choking on my glass of water.

"Please, save your questions until the end." She said glaring at me.

"The Avengers set out on an even crazier mission, to go back in time and recover the stones so that they could snap their fingers and bring everyone back. Clearly, they succeeded."

"I bet that one sounds crazy to you old man." I said to Bucky.

His metal arm reached under the table and sucker punched my thigh giving me a charlie horse.

Sam snorted.

We were a bunch of immature teenagers.

Natasha suddenly flew through my head. She probably had no idea if it worked or not.

I excused myself from the table and exited the room as I dialed my phone.

It rang a couple times before it picked up.

Calm breathing was heard on the other end.

"Nat?" I asked.

I got no response as a loud boom suddenly rang out and the line went dead.