Talks

The walk back was refreshing. Mostly quiet, minus the occasional bird chirping or cricket singing, Paul and Winter didn't say much. It was a comfortable silence. They spent the past few hours catching up with each other so on the walk back they just enjoyed each other's company. Winter was soaking in the absolute raw beauty of the forest. The freshness of the plants, the scent of the dirt and up coming rain wafting through the air, how serene yet wild this place seemed.
Paul bumped her shoulder with a lazy grin on his face. Winter smiled and bumped him back. He turned his head to look at her before holding his hand out for her. Winter's heartbeat sped up significantly before accepting his hand. Little did she know that Paul could her the rapid beating of her heart and it made his own flutter knowing he was the cause of that. It had been less than two days but the pair were already inseparable. Neither of which had a problem with it.
"I missed you so much. Winter, I don't think I've ever missed anyone as much as I missed you." Paul's words took her by surprise.
       Winter wasn't expecting the boy to say what he did. Yes, she missed him too. And she know he missed her, but she didn't expect him to admit it. Not out loud like that. So it took her a second to respond.
      "I missed you too Paul, and I wish I never left. I missed out on a lot here, didn't I?"
       His words were hushed, sad. "Yea, you did. I filled you in on most of it, I'll tell you the rest some other time."
       Paul had a hard time without Winter there. She was his rock, his anchor. And she was gone, it was especially hard for him when he first phased. But she wouldn't know that yet. That thought stayed to himself while she stared down at the ground, her own thoughts about him swirling through her head.
       Then, Winter looked up at him and grinned. "I'm gonna hold you to that."
       "You do that," Paul had a grin on his face himself as he looked down at the girl.
       Soon the shouts and laughs could be heard from the Uley house. The boys were loud and ate everything but they were family. And family sticks together. No matter how annoying or loud. Though Winter didn't think it were possible, the boys got even louder as she and Paul walked into the house. A couple wolf whistles and hollers later, the pair sported a faint blush across their faces. They were gone for 5 and a half hours. Embry had left, but Seth, Jared, and Leah were there. She couldn't say where Jake, Quil, and Embry were but the less noise the more likely she was to keep her hearing.
"What took you two so long?" Jared was the first to question the two with a mocking tone. He arched an eyebrow at the two and held a suggestive smirk.
Winter could feel her face heat up at the question. Paul, however, spoke before she could. "We were just talking. Bet you can't say the same when you and Kim are alone for almost six hours."
Jared's face flushed instantly as he began to stutter. The poor boy was at a loss of words, especially at the mention of his girlfriend. Unfortunately, he quickly recovered "Hey at least I'm actually with the love of my life. And I have the best time with her."
Winter rolled her eyes but still wondered about the Kim who she had yet to meet. Jared was one of her best friends and she wanted to know who he was with. She wanted to make sure Kim was good for him. But Winter didn't worry about this too much, she knew Jared doesn't date just anyone. And everyone seemed to love her so she must be good enough for him.
Sam came out of the kitchen with Emily at his side, holding a plate of freshly baked muffins. The guys all instantly dove for one but was quickly forced back by Emily, "Ladies first! And save some for your brothers. You should know better by now."
Winter stuck her tongue out at the two and grabbed the first muffin. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head, these were the by far the best muffins she'd ever had. And she said so as well. Emily laughed and went back to the kitchen, probably to make more muffins or start on dinner. Both were highly likely. Emily cooked a lot but she didn't seem to mind. Which was good because without her they'd have no food to eat.
       Leah grabbed a muffin and then a second before going out back. Winter hasn't gotten a chance to talk to just her yet, so that is what she planned on doing now. When Winter left, Sam was still with Leah. The two were engaged and ready to get married. But then something happened and Sam broke it off with Leah, she knew it hurt Sam but she didn't know how badly it hurt Leah. Especially when he turned around and got with her cousin, Emily. Winter loved Emily and she loved Leah too. She wanted them to be happy, wanted her brother to be happy. Unfortunately, Leah seemed to be only a shell of the person she used to be.
       Leah was sitting on the back steps of the porch. Gazing out at the forest line, she only thought of how she was stuck with Sam and Emily. It hurt her. She wasn't surprised when Winter took a seat next to her, she could sense her approaching. At first, the younger girl didn't say anything. She just sat in the comfortable silence. The sky was the same grey color it always was. It was as if it were reflecting how Leah felt.
       "I don't know what happened between you and Sam. That's your business so I don't need to know. But I do know you're still hurting and I bet the boys don't make it any easier for you, or the fact that you have to see them on a daily." Winter stopped and turned her head towards Leah, whose body was tense, "he still loves you, I know that. And I know you still love him, but Leah don't let this ruin you. I love you, and I'm here for you."
         Paul was watching and listening from just inside to make sure Leah didn't snap and accidentally hurt her. The rest of the pack was listening but they stayed where they were and tried to act normal. Sam was holding Emily with a frown on his face. He never wanted to hurt Leah, but he didn't have a choice.
       Leah didn't shift her gaze, she didn't move, she didn't do anything. "I know why, and I understand but god it hurts. I want to be happy again, I want to be the old me but I can't."
       Winter frowned, "Leah... you don't have to be the old you. You'll never be the old you. But with time you can be happy."
       "I really hope you're right." Leah slumped against the girl, "thank you for trying, for being my friend."
       "Of course, I will always be your friend. Don't be afraid to come to me, I'm always available." Winter had laid her own head on Leah's and wrapped an arm around the hurt girl.
       Leah lost a lot. Especially in the past year; her lover chose her cousin, her dad died, her and her brother were forced into the pack life. She was tough because she couldn't be hurt anymore. The boys understood but they couldn't deal with it forever.
       Once everyone was sure Leah wasn't gonna do anything, they went back to normal. Except for Paul, who still watched Winter with careful eyes. He also watched in admiration. Leah hadn't talked to anyone about anything since Sam left her. She completely shut down, the only reason the boys knew what they did was because she couldn't silence her thoughts. No one could. Yet, here Winter was, slowly opening up the "cold-hearted" Clearwater. And Seth couldn't be more grateful.
       He missed his sister. He missed how happy she used to be and how she would gladly do something fun with him. Seth wanted his big sister back. Maybe Winter was going to be the key for getting her back.
       Even after the two girls stopped talking they stayed outside for quite a while. Neither ready to go back inside. They were enjoying each other's company. Before she left, they were actually really close with each other. Leah was Winter's girl best friend. Winter was Leah's best friend. And they missed each other deeply.

*******************************************
Word count: 1483
So this chapter was a little shorter I wanted but I'm going to try and make them longer. I'm also gonna try to update at least once a week but I can't guarantee anything. Anyway, let me know what y'all think in the comments and don't forget to vote and comment!

Love y'all— 🌙Lunagirl🌙