━ two. an infatuated idiot

CHAPTER TWO:
- an infatuated idiot -
1977

YOU'D BE LYING IF YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T know who the Marauders were; they practically ran the school. The group consisted of four members: James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew, all seventh year Gryffindors. Seeing as Madeline pretty much hated everybody, the Marauders were far from an exception.

Peter Pettigrew was the quietest out of the group. He was short with thin, mousey hair, and big brown eyes. Peter could often be seen trudging around stacks of muggle comic books and more cassette tapes than Madeline thought humanly possible. He was quiet and Madeline appreciated that about him. Of course, being a Marauder, he had a knack for getting into trouble, but he wasn't like the rest of his friends. Madeline never missed the way Peter would mumble the answers to questions he claimed to not know. He was meek, timid, afraid, but deep down, Madeline knew there was something else there. If Madeline (or anyone for that matter) ever sat down to see Peter, to really see him, she would see that Peter was like her; he had a lot to prove.

Like with Peter, Madeline found she didn't mind Remus Lupin much. Remus was a prefect along with her so surely he had to have some kind of brains. He was fairly tall, about Madeline's height, with long gashes across his face. He wasn't completely horrible to look at, not that Madeline noticed or anything. Every interaction they'd had was sweet, simple, and to the point, like how Madeline wished all conversations went. Remus had always been kind to Madeline, something she couldn't claim to be true about all the Marauders.

Sirius Black was notorious for his good looks and trouble making ways. Sure, his hair was great and there was something striking about his eyes, but his personality ruined just about any chance of Madeline being attracted to him. Black was brash and quick to jump to conclusions; he lived in a shoot first, ask questions later world. He was a bully who cared for nothing but himself and his friends. Madeline herself had been a target simply because she wore green robes (maybe it was also due to the fact that she was a tad bit stuck up and often took points away from him). It was safe to say Madeline had an immense dislike for Sirius Black and his reckless nature.

And to complete the group of "pranksters" was James Potter. Potter was always messy; his tousled hair, wrinkled robes, and smudged glasses irked Madeline to no end. He always had this cocky smile strapped on his face as if he thought— no, knew he was better than you. He was not only known for his pranks, but of his relentless pursuit of Lily Evans, a red haired Gryffindor girl who obviously did not like him back. His inability to understand the word no showed just how stubborn and selfish he could be. James Potter could end world hunger, find life on Mars, figure out world peace, end all wars, and still Madeline wouldn't like him. He was just that annoying.

That's probably (most definitely) the reason why she was so angry at Slughorn when she saw the new seating chart posted in the front of the classroom.

"Professor!" Madeline stormed up to Professor Slughorn, slamming her fist angrily against his desk. He choked on his tea, quickly grabbing a napkin to dab at his freshly stained shirt. Madeline took a breath to calm herself. "Sorry about that, Professor, but I had a question about the new seating chart. I've been seated next to James Potter?"

     "Ah, yes, yes, we'll go over that in class. For the meantime, please take a seat, Miss Winston." Professor shrugged over an annoyed Madeline. She huffed before moving to a station near the back— he couldn't have at least given them a seat in the front?

     It's been a few days since James Potter's dinner time fiasco. Madeline heard he'd only gotten ten points taken from Gryffindor and two nights worth of detention. Like that was going to do anything. He and his band of idiots were probably planning their next prank already.