━ eighteen. the rise of perfect prefect potter

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
-  the rise of perfect prefect potter -
1977

PETER LOOKED NERVOUS, MORE NERVOUS than he normally did. His foot bounced up and down to the music blasting in his stereo headphones. He was sweating which was ridiculous considering how cold the castle was, and mumbling to himself under his breath. Madeline side-eyed him, glaring up from her binder for probably the third time since sitting besides him. She was trying to be patient, she really was, but patience wasn't exactly one of her strong suits. Especially when it was eight in the morning and Potter had her awake until three am.

     Having had enough of his relentless shaking leg, Madeline finally tapped Peter's shoulder, making a motion for him to take off the headphones. She must have looked angry because he immediately apologized.

"Oh," Peter's face was pink as he stuttered, "sorry, sorry, didn't realize it was loud."

Madeline huffed. "Yeah just please control your shaking. It's very distracting for people who are actually trying to concentrate."

"Ha, sorry." Petter scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. "These meetings always just make me sorta nervous or whatever."

"They shouldn't," Madeline said, now skimming through her notes for the second time. She always liked going back to make sure there were absolutely no mistakes, no surprises. "It's just Dumbledore."

"Yeah." Peter squeaked, sliding further in his chair. His earphones now laid in his lap along with a notepad of scribbles notes. He immediately closed it upon noticing Madeline's stare. She didn't think much of it, quickly dismissing him to turn back to her own neatly sorted documents.

In order to continue receiving money to pay for their supplies and uniforms each year, scholarship students were expected to maintain above average grades and attend weekly meetings with the Headmaster to make sure they were on track. The meetings started as a way to assimilate students into Hogwarts. As students grew older, the visits to Dumbledore's office became less frequent.  Now Madeline only had to show up once a semester to organize a viable schedule for the year (because apparently it was "unrealistic" to have five extracurriculars while taking six NEWT level courses).

     There weren't many kids in the scholarship program and because Madeline had remained a Hoggy Warty Scholar (don't get Madeline started on the name) since her first year, she knew almost everyone in the program so she wasn't surprised to see Peter there. He would often sit in the back of their end of the year (obligatory) "party", glancing at his watch every couple minutes to see if it was time to leave yet. She never talked to him, never had much of a reason or want to, to be completely honest. But considering he was a friend of James's, Madeline concluded they were bound to be forced to interact sooner or later.

     But, whatever! It doesn't matter who he was, his knee had started that shaking thing again and Madeline was just about at her limit.

A short Ravenclaw hoped out of Dumbledore's office before Madeline could say anything, sucking on a red lolly. She wore a large smile, practically floating over to the two. "You can go in now, er... Madeline, was it?"

"Yes, thank you." Madeline collected her things— a large book bag, violin case, neatly typed resume, and today's courses textbooks— as the Ravenclaw skipped off to class.

"Goodluck." Peter called after her, tugging on his earphones.

Madeline paused, hesitating. "Thanks. I guess." Her first instinct was to shoot back she didn't need luck (it was a simple sit down with the Headmaster). But his nervousness seemed to be rubbing off on her and she didn't have a heart to tell him off when he looked like he'd fall apart at the slightest inconvenience.