Chapter 34

That evening, Peter went down to Tony’s shop to work on the braces as soon as he was done with his homework, a fairly normal course of action. What wasn’t normal, however, was that Bucky followed him. When the elevator doors opened and the bots caught sight of Bucky, they abandoned Tony, rocketing over hastily and chirping little greeting sounds. Bucky’s mouth curled into a genuine smile.

“Get back here!” Tony called. “I need my- Oh, hi, Barnes.”

“Stark,” Bucky returned, his face snapping back to inscrutable.

“What brings you here, Olaf?”

Bucky looked at Tony blankly.

“Olaf? From Frozen? I could’ve sworn I showed you that. No, that might’ve been Steve. No, I think it was you… Whatever. You’re probably just fucking with me. What’s crackin’, paleolith?”

Bucky flexed his metal arm in response, and Tony’s face lit up like holiday lights. He put down the fuse board he was holding and made grabby hands.

“Mine mine mine! You just made my day. Get your ass over here.”

Bucky sighed, wheeling his way over to Tony’s workbench.

“Can I scan it?” Tony asked courteously.

Bucky nodded, and Tony was off again.

“JARVIS, scans, please! Dum-E, I need the toolbox, you know which one. Bite-Size, gimme that can of oil. If you spill it, you have to clean it up… Motherf- I mean it, that better be cleaned up by the time I’m done here. Dum-E, I need a new can of oil. Bite-Size, at least have the decency to wipe your claw before you fondle Barnes. Okay, Barnes. What’s the problem?”

“The arm overheated this morning. Burned me through my shirt.”

“Were you doing anything weird? Wait, were you doing things? With Steve? Because if you were, please don’t tell me.”

“Don’t have my shirt on when I do things with Steve,” Bucky said seriously.

Tony flailed a little. “Jesus, why did I ask? Aah, mental images. Oh, god, why.”

Bucky’s eyes curled in amusement. Tony covered his face with a hand. Peter tried very hard not to laugh and failed, letting out a little snicker.

“Don’t encourage him,” Tony groaned. “Eugh. I’m going to try to forget about that. Back to the question, did you do anything out of the ordinary?”

“Went with Hill to take Peter to school.”

“That’s- Oh, did you pilot yourself?”

“Yes,” Bucky said stiffly.

“And were you wearing a thousand layers?”

“Two.”

“So a thousand. Yeah, that could cause overheating. JARVIS, what’s the verdict on the scans?”

“The limb is low on coolant, and there appears to be buildup in the internal forearm paneling, Sir,” JARVIS replied.