32. London

Axel's P.O.V-

Sunlight shone into Axel's eyes as he walked on the brick streets of the outskirts of London. He turned around, eyes wide as they took in the damage that had been inflicted upon the city. He resumed his focus, turning back around and picking up his pace to catch up with Freya and Roger, who were ahead of him. Freya walked a little farther behind Roger, while Roger led the way. Axel brushed his dark hair off his forehead, gently brushing the almost healed gash on his forehead. He then looked down at the splint which was still partly in good shape, the fabric a little worn but stable on his leg. He could almost walk on it, but he still limped a little. He was fine with that.

It was nearing dusk as they had arrived at London, handing the horses they had used to a stable. After a few more days at Roger's home, Freya had decided it was time to leave. Axel had listened to the plan, understanding that they would find a pilot and then go to Germany. He felt an excitement inside his chest as he continued walked, catching up to Freya. He would be able to go home soon and see his family! His emerald orbs glanced down at Freya as he walked alongside him, her blue orbs cast toward the ground. Axel frowned, wondering why she was upset.

He knew that Freya had risked a lot for him. Axel blinked, returning his gaze in front of him, watching people walk along the streets. He heard a low sigh escape from Freya as they continued walking, following Roger, who walked up ahead. Axel blinked, peering at Freya, his lips forming into a frown as he saw her saddened face. He cleared his throat, wanting to know. He remembered looking out the window as Roger and her had been talking, overhearing some of the conversation. He remembered the feeling of discomfort and jealousy as he had watched Roger hold her hand. And even then, how he had stopped it by opening the door. Axel almost chuckled out loud, realizing exactly what was happening.

It could be possible that not only Roger had feelings for Freya, but him as well.

Axel didn't exactly like the idea, with everything going on at the moment he didn't want to have to worry about that as well. But Freya was one of the strongest people he knew. She wasn't selfish. She had risked her life to save his, putting him before herself. Not to mention that alongside her personality, she was pretty and had a nice figure. Freya was also innocent, in a way, and Axel liked that about her too.

The sun reached the top of the damaged buildings and homes, leaving the street in shadow as it steadily rose to set. It was quiet as they walked, besides the occasional passing horse and carriage. Axel blinked, watching Roger as he turned his head to make sure the two were still behind him. When he saw they were, he turned back to continue walking. Axel returned his attention to Freya, watching her as she gazed around London, exploring the city with her blue eyes that still held a depth of sadness...

"Freya?" He asked softly, accented voice low as they passed some people, his eyes focused straight ahead of him. He could feel her eyes on his face as she turned to him.

"Yes?" Her voice was soft and quiet as well, but she had failed to hide the tone of nervousness in it and Axel looked at her, noticing how her soft face, pale and smooth in the shadows, was indeed an expression of worry and nerves.

He searched for the right words, flipping through his memory of English vocabulary. "Are you okay?"

Freya blinked once and then looked straight ahead of her, reaching a hand up to brush her hair, which was let loose and down aside. "I am. I'm just nervous. Mainly about us," She paused, pursing her lips.

Axel gave her a soft, reassuring smile and then he reached his hand out, taking hers and holding it as they continued walking. He saw her confused expression and he smiled, giving it a small squeeze as he looked into her eyes, watching hers fix on his.