34. Feelings

Axel blinked his green orbs open as light shone through the bottom of the door, reflecting off the hard floor. He yawned, stretching his arms out and tilting his head up to look at the top of the other bunk bed set. Blankets covered an unmoving shape as Freya continued sleeping. Axel yawned again, groggily sitting up and then freezing as the bed creaked as Roger turned on the mattress above him.

Axel looked up, narrowing his emerald eyes, and then shrugged to himself and brushed his hair toward the back of his head, fingers tracing the scar that was left from the hammer and then running to the bruise from the gun. Axel groaned quietly. He thought he got hit in the head too much... Sitting up, he reached forward and untied the splint on his leg. Removing it, he noticed that his leg was almost even and good again. Axel smiled, dimples forming on his freckled face. Maybe he would be able to walk and run freely now. Or at least, soon.

He heard a yawn come from the top bunk and he figured Roger was waking up too. Axel rolled off of the bed onto his feet, grabbing his shirt and looking down at his stomach for a moment. His four pack had faded from lack of exercise. Axel scrunched his nose, pulling the simple flannel over his head and standing. He walked over to the mirror, staring into the tired face that was reflected back at him. His hair was messy and his eyes tired. Axel ruffled his hair and stepped away, turning around and letting out a soft gasp as he ran into Roger.

Looking up in shock, Axel felt his heart pounding as Roger smirked. Roger must have snuck up on him. Roger chuckled quietly, running a hair through his light brown hair.

"Scare you?" He asked, stepping around Axel. Axel inhaled shakily, turning to face him.

"Yes." He replied simply, sighing slowly and turning back around as he walked over to the bed where Freya was. He should probably wake her up now.

"What are you doing?" Roger asked, voice low and deep as Axel stepped up onto the ladder. He was used to ladders by now.

"I'm waking her up." He replied, stepping up.

"Why?"

"Because we need to get moving." Axel answered softly, reaching the top of the ladder.

His emerald eyes landed on Freya's face, her eyes still closed and body curled up under the blankets, which covered her up. Axel had never seen her look so relaxed before. He stared at her for a moment, not wanting to ruin the peaceful sleep she had fallen into. He didn't hear Roger walking toward him, stopping at the other ladder.

"You know you're going to hurt her. When you leave." He stated.

Axels eyes widened and he turned his head, looking down at Roger.

"What do you mean?" Axel blinked, resting his hands on the mattress as he tilted his head down at Roger. What did he mean?

Roger scoffed, looking away. "You're so naive if you really don't know." He said slowly. Axel narrowed his eyes.

Roger waited, then threw his hands up and turned away. "You're even too embarrassed to just admit it? I know you like her, Axel."

Axel looked away as his body warmed in temperature, his cheeks darkening in a soft blush as he looked down at the mattress.

"What does that have to do with hurting her?" He whispered, careful to not wake her up with the conversation.

"Because she likes you too."

Axel stared at the mattress and then sighed softly, returning his gaze to Rogers. Roger stared steadily back at him. Axel softly cleared his throat, stepping down from the ladder. He stood in front of Roger, looking up at him, green eyes narrowed.

"And?" Axel stared questioningly.

Roger blinked, doubt in his eyes. "What do you mean, and? She's never liked a boy before, and she's never really been around one. She does have feelings for you. Can you understand me?"

Axel looked away, guilt in his eyes. "Yes, I can understand."

"Then do you not care?" Roger raised his voice a little. "Do you just plan on leaving and forgetting about her? She has no one at home!"

Axel answered, "Grandparents. A-and, I care, I just..." Axel cared very much, but he didn't know what to do about it. He had to get home and then they would leave. He doubted he would ever see her again after that.

Roger interrupted Axel, running a hand through his hair as his hazel eyes reflected anger, looking away. "Her grandparents were killed during the blitz. She doesn't know yet. I have the letter from the mail office."

Axel sucked in a breath, looking up where Freya still slept. No, that wasn't supposed to happen. She would be heartbroken. Devastated. He let his gaze drift to the ground as he let out a long, shallow breath. He knew that she didn't have any other family, unless there were some she hadn't told him about. No parents, no siblings, no grandparents. She would be all alone now.

Axel blinked twice, brushing his mid forehead length black waves away and then asking softly, "Will she be alone now?"

Roger nodded. "Kind of. I'll be here for her, so will neighbors. But she isn't fond of me, and she doesn't have any close friends." Roger paused, looking away. "What I'm trying to say is that, you two are very close. I don't want to see her hurt when you leave. Once she finds out about her grandparents she'll be hurt enough."

Silence filled the room and he looked away. Axel stared at the ground. He looked up at Roger, seeing him staring up at Freya. Axel followed his gaze to Freya, realizing what Roger was getting at. Was it that he was suggesting inviting Freya into his own family? Axel shook his head, closing his eyes. Freya was different from any of the other girls he had met in his life. They had known each other for almost two months now and Axel knew he liked her, but he didn't want to say anything about it. Was he scared of rejection? Or making the situation worse?

Axel frowned, "I don't know what to do."

"You don't need to. All I'm asking you to do is to be there for her. Since I can't." Roger shrugged, hiding his emotions as Axel suspected. Axel nodded, turning back to the ladder.

"I will."

Climbing up the ladder, he reached his hand out and gently laid it on her shoulder. Freya stirred a little, and Axel couldn't help but smile, remembering when he had caught her after she had tripped trying to get her piece of pie away from him when he had stolen it.

"Freya?" He asked quietly, watching her stir and then flip onto her back, her eyes fluttering open as she yawned, turning and looking at him. He grinned, hiding the pain from his eyes and pushing the conversation he had had with Roger behind him. "Freya, it's time to get up."

She opened her eyes fully, blinking. "Okay." Yawning, she began to sit up and Axel smiled, jumping down from the ladder and landing on his bad foot. Only, it hurt a little. Not as much as it normally would. That was a good sign.

Axel waited, stretching out a bit while the others got ready to handle the day. He knew he would have to confess to Freya at some point, he didn't want to leave as just friends. It seemed like such a waste of time all the same. Axel realized that he was torn between running for the truth or dodging it. He knew that Freya would need someone to support her when she found out about her grandparents. He kind of wanted to be that someone.

Prologue1. Mourning2. Thoughts3. Discovery5. Waking6. Communication7. Dictionary8. Chocolate9. Hay10. Visitors11. Napkin Flowers12. Saved again13. An act of kindness.14. Discovered15. Not an accident16. Planning17. Leaving18. Crutches19. Pie20. Roger21. Nightmare22. Memories23. Swimming24. Beach25. Captured26. Ambush27. Figuring things out28. Manners29. Ace the Pilot30. Packing31. Anger32. The truth33. LondonHey fans!34. Turned down35. Feelings36. I needed to
Share