#8: Jealousy, Maybe?

Sasuke doesn't know how it started. To be honest, he doesn't even realize what he's doing.

"Sasuke-kun?" Sakura inquires, snapping him out of his mild trance. "Is something wrong?"

Sasuke sends her a sidelong glance. "Why do you ask?"

Sakura blinks. "Because... you kinda dragged me away while Lee-san was talking to me just now..."

Oh, right.

It had been a normal day like any other. He was on his occasional visit to Konoha, taking in the sights of the beautiful, peaceful village and the happy-looking civilians going about their own business.

He had visited Kakashi beforehand, greeting his former teacher briefly before walking around the streets, ignoring the odd stares he got from others. He was used to it, after all.

It wasn't until he rounded the corner leading towards the training grounds that he spotted her.

How long had it been? Weeks? Months? Sasuke didn't know. He didn't keep track of time that much. But he knew that it had been a while since he last saw her.

Sakura looked as lively as ever, chattering animatedly with Lee as he seemed to be telling her something exciting. Strands of her pink hair danced with the wind as she covered her giggles with her mouth in a feminine manner. Sasuke tried not to let himself stare too much at her face, for it not only made him uncomfortable, but it also gave rise to unknown feelings that definitely hadn't been there before.

Sasuke didn't know what had gotten into him. It was as if his body was operating on auto-pilot mode as he strode over to them, his steps light yet purposeful. His mind was blank, his palms oddly sweaty.

When he reached them, Sakura's pleasantly surprised face was the first thing he saw.

"Sasuke-kun!" she exclaimed. "When did you–"

Her voice trailed off when Sasuke suddenly started to walk past her without even breathing a word. Sakura, completely confused, was about to turn around to ask him what was wrong when she suddenly felt his hand grasp her wrist.

The last thing she saw before he used Shunshin to drag her away was Lee's confused, wide-eyed expression.

Sasuke's mind goes back to the present as he recalls exactly what he did. Trying not to show the discomfort on his features, he looks Sakura in the eyes somewhat apologetically.

"Sorry," he says quietly.

Sakura blinks, surprised at his solemn tone. "No, it's okay... Lee-san will understand, I'm sure." She peers at his face, trying to find something in his expression. "Why? Do you need me for something?"

Sasuke shakes his head. "No."

Sakura looks more confused now. "Huh? Then why did you—?"

At that moment, a loud voice interrupts them.

"Oh! If it isn't Sasuke!"

Sasuke and Sakura turn around to see Naruto running towards them with a huge smile on his face.

"You're here!" he tells Sasuke excitedly, patting him repeatedly on the shoulder. "Welcome back! How long are you gonna be staying?"

Sasuke calmly slaps Naruto's hand away, his expression indifferent. "Only a day," he replies. "I only came to restock my supplies. I'm going to be travelling towards a village in the far-east."

Naruto frowns at this. "You should make it two days, at least!" he complains as he slings an arm around Sakura's shoulder. "Don't you know how much Sakura-chan missed you while you were gone?!"

Sakura's face turns tomato-red in an instant. "N—N—No!" she denies immediately, so flustered that she's stammering. "Th—That's not it! N—Naruto, stop joking around!" She attempts a glare at him, but Naruto only finds it adorable with that embarrassed blush on her cheeks.

Naruto laughs, courageously pinching her cheeks. "You're always so cute whenever Sasuke's around!" he teases, enjoying the way his female teammate's face somehow manages to turn even redder than before.

Sakura is about to teach him a lesson by slowly channeling chakra to her fist when a hand suddenly grips her wrist.

"What — Sasuke-kun?!"

Naruto stares in shock when Sasuke looks at him, his rinnegan suddenly looking very threatening at that moment.

Before he walks away with Sakura, he frowns at Naruto. "Don't touch her like that," he says quietly. "Can't you see she's uncomfortable?"

Then he begins to leave, still gripping Sakura by the wrist as the latter gapes at him in pure confusion.

She can't seem to believe it. Sasuke, again, is dragging her away for the second time today! For no reason at all!

Meanwhile, Naruto stares, and stares, and stares.

Seconds later, a mischievous, knowing smile curves his lips.

"O-ho! Sasuke~" he says, laughing in a teasing manner at their retreating backs. "You should've just told me you wanted Sakura-chan all to yourself today! I would've gladly left you two alone, you know! Geez, you should be more honest with yourself!"

Naruto laughs even harder when Sasuke hastens his retreat, immediately disappearing out of his sight by rounding the corner.

He does not miss the undeniably red blush on both of their faces.

fin