004.

CHAPTER FOUR,
1844 , love

Arms wrapped around a warm figure, cuddled in close to the point warm air cascaded over flushed skin and nothing but content was felt. Kol was the first to be awake and he watched the sleeping Acadia with such a loving gaze.

Her hair was splayed out across the pillows beneath and Kol led there with a smile as he raked his hands through her brown hair, dragging the pad of his finger along her cheekbone and drifting across her lips. He pondered for the majority of the early morning of how he got this... lucky. How a beast like him could ever deserve her.

It rattled his thoughts to the point he awoke in cold sweats from vicious nightmares where Acadia's demise was him. He'd then spend hours just sitting on the edge of the grand bed, his head in his hands as he prayed that even though Acadia was his greatest discovery, she would also entail being a lethal weapon. And everytime he prayed for her to forget about him, forget everything about him, he'd fill in regret and guilt and would quickly return beside Acadia because he did deserve this happiness - Kol deserved something.

And now, after the conversation they had last night which ended in an emotional kiss of unspoken love and infatuation, he remembered that it was his turn to be happy. So, he led next to Acadia and soaked up everything about her. To her dark eyelashes and neat eyebrows to the scattered moles across her face and her pale lips. He didn't want to forget her - how could he forget her?

It was the perfect morning.

"Brother," It was a call yet disguised under a whisper, calling out for Kol who rolled his eyes at the easily recognised voice. With a quick kiss to Acadia's forehead, he gently got out of bed and met with his brothers in the hallway. "Finally, you are awake."

Kol scoffed at Klaus, "I've been awake since the sun began to rise."

"Well, we must talk - it's urgent." Elijah butted in, his arms crossed over his chest, a shock-stricken expression on his face. "We have had some unfair news delivered, from one of our associates at the edge of town."

"Well, bloody go on-"

Klaus huffed and took an urgent step forward and expressed the words, "Mikael is back." And just like that, Kol's whole slither of paradise dropped.

"What do you mean he's back? Klaus, you promised this town would be it for us-"

"I was mistaken."

Kol let out a sound of disgust and unbelief. "Mistaken? Klaus, I have something beautiful here - I am not prepared to just... get up and leave."

"Kol," Elijah's voice boomed yet still were in quiet whispers. "We must leave, leave the town, leave the Hemming family. If we stay, we risk everything."

"Elijah, I can't just leave her!"

Klaus gripped his shoulder with wide eyes, "Quiet, Kol."

The younger brother just instantly shook Klaus' hand off him and took a step back. "I am not leaving her!"

Then, the groggy yet confused voice of a tired woman filled his ears and he could not believe it, how reckless he could be for her to hear this as soon as she woke up. "You are leaving, Kol?"