20

I've lost track of how many days have passed since the crash

I've lost track of how many days have passed since the crash. I've not really done much or seen anyone besides Aiden, and since him admitting his unhappiness to me, things have felt fragile between us. Me almost killing him while illegally driving a car may play a part in that too, I guess. Robbie's called a few times, but I've not had the stomach to answer. I sent him a text instead; one suggesting we take a break. I know what happened was entirely my fault, but I'm annoyed at him for daring and encouraging me to drive that night.

I'm somewhat grateful for this lack of human contact because it's presented me with the ideal opportunity to mull things over. I can't get what Dad told me about Preston out of my head. I don't understand it, and I'm not sure I want to understand it. All I know is that I need to convince Matty's foster parents to keep him in Wales. That's why I'm standing here right now with my chest tight, and my nerves shot. I knock the front door of Matty's house, and wait. It's probably barely even ten seconds, but it feels like hours until the door opens, and I see Paul standing where it used to be.

'Oh, hello,' he says awkwardly.

'Uh, hey, I know this must seem a little strange, but could I possibly speak to you for a few minutes?' I pause. 'It's about Preston.'

Paul nods and gestures for me to step into the house, and for some reason, I can't help feeling like I'm intruding without Preston here. I follow him through to the living room to find his wife huddled up on a puffy cream soda. The television is showing one of those crappy antique dealer programmes where people seem to continuously lose money instead of win any, but Julia has her eyes clasped on me as we enter. She narrows them, and I already know my chances of changing her mind are near enough impossible.

'Julia, this is one of Preston's friends...'

'Mia,' I fill in, and Paul apologises. I say it's fine.

'Yes, I think we've met.' She hesitates. 'What do you want?'

Paul glances at her disapprovingly as he offers me a seat, and he puts the television on mute. My mouth is dry and I'm twiddling my thumbs to hide my nerves, but I doubt I'm fooling anyone. I'm surprised I was let into the house so easily, but then I get the feeling Paul wants the issues with Preston resolved.

'Mia's here to talk about Preston,' Paul answers for me. His wife opens her mouth, I assume to protest, but he hushes her. 'Please Julia, give it a chance.'

Julia has the same greying hairstyle she had when we first met, only the grey of her roots has slithered downwards to reach the crown of her head. She looks tired, and I find it difficult to imagine her dancing like a maniac with Matty in the way Preston does. She turns away from Paul to look at me, and nods subtly. She apologises.

'Okay,' I start. I take a deep breath. 'I know this has nothing to do with me and I don't mean to intrude, I really don't, but Preston told me about you moving to England with Matty, and...'