CHAPTER ELEVEN

NICHOLAS

Nicholas rubs his eyes with his long fingers as he tries to focus on the file on his lap. He is trying so hard to concentrate but they have read almost two hundred files and still, they came up with nothing. The mafia man is amazed by how much documents there are regarding the war. After all, it only lasted a few months. As far as he can tell, however, a lot occurred during this short period of time.
"I am going to ask the maids to make so coffee." Lucas says before he gets off the floor and makes his way towards the kitchen.
It doesn't help that the files mention everything in great detail. Each day takes about three to four files. It almost feels like it is a diary. Nicholas lets out a long frustrated breath. He looks around his living room that is now covered with papers, sticky notes, highlighters, pens, and notebooks. It feels like he is back in high school again. The only difference is right now he is actually dedicated to the work he is doing.
Nicholas stares at Ignazio as he writes something down on his notebook; the Italian man seems to be lost in the words he is writing and the files he is reading. His legs are crossed beneath him as he leans into the table where he has been sitting for the past few hours.
On the couch to the left of Nicholas sits Ilya who is holding a file in his hands. The frown on his face tells his boss that what he is reading is total bullshit.
Nicholas's gaze drifts to the spot where his best friend was sitting just a few moments ago. Lucas is the one who has done the most work, the stack of files that he has gone through says as much. Thus, it is not a surprise that he needs some coffee.
Lastly, he glares at materials that are scattered before him on the floor opposite to Lucas. He sits right next to the fireplace, its flames tempting him to throw all that is on the floor into the fire. His fresh wound being this close to the heat definitely adds to his irritation.
"I don't get it! Why don't we have a digital version for all this shit?" Ilya mutters to himself.
"From now on, everything will be saved digitally." Nicholas replies bitterly.
"Yeah, we wouldn't want the next generation to curse you like we are cursing the previous one." Ignazio looks up from his work to give Nicholas a tired smirk. Nicholas smiles at his friend's attempt to lighten up the mood.

A couple minutes later, Lucas enters the room with a tray that has four mugs on it. Nicholas is not a big coffee drinker, but due to his fatigue he can't wait for his mouth to touch the mug.
"All the maids are asleep, so I made the coffee myself." He informs the other three men as he gives each a mug.
"I figured black would be the perfect choice given the work we still have to get done." Lucas returns to his spot on the floor. Silence consumes the air as everyone goes back to their task.
Suddenly, a phone ringing echoes through the room. Ignazio looks through the things around him before he finds his phone.
"Leona, what is so urgent you had to call me at this time of night?" Ignazio's annoyance can be detected in his voice.
Nicholas cannot hear what this Leona is saying but he can tell that she is crying. It takes seconds of the Italian's man to get on his feet and starts to pace and forth. He is becoming either restless or worried; Nicholas can't tell which one is it, maybe both.
"Is he alright?" Ignazio hears what the female says before he hastily looks at Nicholas with a terrified and angry expression.
"Alonso has been shot." Nicholas doesn't know how to feel, he only knows that he is bloodthirsty.
"Who did it?" the Brazilian mafia boss's voice is devoid of emotion.
"The Russians, who else?" Ignazio grabs his stuff and puts his shoes on.
"I don't get it. Why would Ivan go after Alonso or the Italian mafia at all." Lucas points out.
"Perhaps he learned about our friendship. I mean if he knows how close we are, the maybe he thought that getting rid of Alonso will get him a step closer to his revenge." Nicholas tries to
"How is he?" Lucas is the one who asks this time.
"He is okay, but it was close. His heart stopped at the operating table for a few seconds. Leora, Alonso's sister, says he should wake up in a few hours. They want me to go back; with Alonso being indisposed at the moment, Alberto cannot handle everything on his own." Ignazio seems guilty for having to leave.
"You are not going alone." Nicholas announces.
"Nick, you cannot leave your organization, not now. I will go and I will update you on things." Ignazio tries to reason.
"Ignazio, we are in this together. So, Lucas and I are coming with you. Ilya, I will send a few trusted men to help you go through the rest of the files. I want you to inform me of everything you find." Nicholas looks at Ilya who nods in understatement.
"Are you sure about this?" Ignazio seems unconvinced in the Brazilian man's plan.
"Alonso would have done the same for us." Lucas answers for his boss.