CHAPTER 4 - ESCAPE

The day when Doctor Zigan told me about my parents being murdered, I immediately asked to be sent home. The NCIO seemed suffocating all of a sudden. I knew that I couldn't stand another day in the facility. They needed me. It was why they tried to convince me to stay, yet I knew I wouldn't be of any help since I wasn't close to being stable. We had a long debate but they decided to let me go as long as I would take Ali with me. I no longer argued. I just really wanted to be anywhere else other than the NCIO. It would make me feel more at ease.

The next morning, we were already sent to the road of Texas City. It was at least an hour ride before I stood in front of a high-rise building with glass facade. I couldn't believe my eyes when we went to the 38th floor and the teenager opened a door to a neatly designed bachelorette's pad. It was too big for a single occupant. A family of five could literally call it a home already. Ali told me that I bought it a year ago. As to why I did, I had no clue.

Today was already our second week in the place. The first few days were nowhere near eventful. I stayed inside my bedroom as I struggled to take in everything I found out, especially about my parents. It made me more or less, depressed. Not in a way that I wouldn't eat, but all I ever wanted was to be alone. Ali offered to go take me outside everyday but I was grateful that she didn't force me at all when I said no. She let me do the pacing. I only finally agreed to it in exchange of a bottle of vodka. The teenager argued that being drunk wouldn't really help my recovery, yet she was quick to give in when I made the deal.

She took me every day to one of my favorite places in the city. Most were just coffee shops and secluded restaurants. In some way, I was expecting that they would help me with my lost memories yet nothing triggered for me to get anything back. I only wrote them down on my notes so I would remember them. Other than my body finally gaining a few pounds, I didn't think I was any better. I still felt lost and empty. The dreams kept reappearing almost every other day which ruin my sleep.

"Agent Drayson." Alianna called behind the door with a knock.

"Come in."

She slowly opened the door then entered. I didn't take my eyes off the television which was playing some lame talk show, yet I saw from my peripheral vision that the girl stood a meter or two from my bed. When silence filled the air for the next seconds, I looked at her and saw that she was a bit reluctant to speak. The carpet flooring was more interesting to her as she kept her head down.

"What is it? Is there a problem?" I carefully asked.

"U-Uhh... Director Shaw and Doctor Zigan wanted to check on you. They w--"

"Let me guess. They need me. Yeah. Sucks for them because I'm not going back." I blatantly said as I sat up and leaned my back on the headboard.

My arms crossed uncomfortably, showing my guarded side. She sighed heavily before walking towards the end of my bed to sit. Our eyes met before she started talking again.

"Are you mad at them?"

"Well, not really mad. More like doubtful." I admitted as I turned off the television so we could hear each other clearly.

"What do you mean?" Her eyebrows met. "What is there to doubt?"

"I feel like they're only protecting me because they need me for the project, not because they actually care."

"But they do. Believe me, they do. They are your guardians. It's their job to look after you, now that your p-parents are..." She hesitantly continued like she was trying to check the effect of her words to me. "Gone."

Their death was one thing that I still couldn't accept. It just seemed so unfair that I wouldn't get to remember how they were. I was left with nothing but longing. My mother would have snuggled me into her arms if she sees me terrified. My dad was probably the type of person who keeps a strict personality around people but would turn really soft with me. It was what made me furious, that I didn't have anything else to do but to fill in the bond my parents left me. There was nothing to do but guess. Everyone could tell me every story there was, yet I would never know how I felt. How special they actually were.