CHAPTER 11 - STORIES

My heart was pounding. Though my mind wasn't exactly going in the same direction. It was calmer more than I expected it would be. I felt ready. Mentally.

It was my last thirty minutes before my team and I would be sent outside the NCIO. Everything was already set. The heads' offerings were stashed in one backpack. I had the bullet and fire proof thin vest under a maroon long sleeves, together with black army jeans and light combat boots.

I sat on the edge of my bed, letting the time pass. My fingers were intertwined while the sides were pressed on my lips. The sound of the door opening interrupted the silence of the room. Rodrick entered without any greeting, but his stare already signaled that it was time to go. So I stood up and slumped the bag on my shoulder.

"Wait." He stopped me when I was about to start walking.

Our position was almost face to face. Before I could even question what the matter was, he subtly handed me a small silver box. It was the same size as a ring box. If there weren't two circular outlines on top, it seemed just like the normal ones. There was a part in me that wanted to joke about taking me out on a date first before proposing, but I held myself. I tried opening it but it didn't bulge. My eyes met his, receiving only a gentle stare.

"What's this?" I asked.

"You'll know in time." He answered before taking in a deep breath. "Just make sure no one else would see that."

Rodrick turned back around like as if nothing out of the norm happened. He walked towards the door but he waited for me as I hid the ring box in one of the lower pockets of my jeans, securely hiding it from anyone's eyes. Then we proceeded outside to head to the take-off area.

I purposely slowed down my pace because the nervousness was dawning at me, very legitimately. It was beginning to freak me out and I suddenly wanted to retreat from the mission. There was a feeling which screamed that I wasn't ready, but I also knew that I wouldn't ever be. So it was a now or never type of situation.

Unfortunately, my emotions didn't get any better when we approached Bartlet, the other heads, and my entire team. The younger people in the room tried to act cool as they were being reminded of what to do and what not to do by the director, but fear was somehow visible in their orbs. They were wearing almost identical pants that I had on, except theirs were more like green in color. Just clean white shirts as their top, and their hands were clutching around the strap of their bags.

The take-off area looked like a typical military space where small aircrafts, cars, delivery trucks were stored. Everything was made of steel. There were numerous ceiling lights but not all were open. Rodrick and I walked until we reached the other heads. We stood at least a few feet away from Bartlet and the younger group. I could barely hear what he was saying because there were noises that surrounded the place.

"Margaux." Lyra's voice caught my attention. "How are your hands?"

My eyes turned to my still slightly injured palms. She had given the cuts a special remedy to speed up the healing. The stitches were already removed, but the wound remained visible. No more pain, even. I just couldn't tell if they would last long when I need to fight physically.

"They're fine." I simply stated.

The doctor nodded as the cellular phone in her robe's pocket, rang. She answered it and chose to stay in her current position. I didn't want to eavesdrop on the conversation, so I averted my focus on my team.

Somehow, they worried me. When Lyra showed the photos of the former NCIO members who got killed hunting down Riley, I couldn't disrupt the feeling inside of me that I was the one to blame for their deaths. Informing me about having a team with me on the mission should have lifted up my spirit, yet it only doubled the guilt. Because I knew that they will be sent outside for me. Their lives were suddenly on the line. Without much of a choice. And I became responsible for each.