Endings Mean New Beginings

As usual the last day of school involved no actual learning. It was mostly movies, yearbooks, and tearful goodbyes. The morning had gone by in a blur.

"Is it time to go yet?" Came a tired voice from beside her. Issy laughed taking in the girl walking next to her. Her name was Josephine but only Issy would dare to call her that. To the world she was Jo, the scary quiet girl that was too smart for her own good. Jo had been a late transfer during her sophomore year.

Her dad had pulled a disappearing act when he found out his 16 year old girlfriend was pregnant. Her mom hadn't survived giving birth at her young age. Jo had been raised by her grandma, a lovely woman who had held on until she saw her little girl turn 18 before finally following her daughter a few months ago.

She and Jo had bonded instantly. It was like having a female version of Warren as her best friend. Issy laughed remembering a fight they had once about their leather jackets. She and Issy also had shared ground in being found imperfect by the general superhero population. Jo needed glasses and was partially deaf in her right ear. Not that she let any of this slow her down or keep her from being feared by others.

Looking at the pajamas and leather jacket her friend wore she laughed. "Did you forget to get dressed today, Jo?" The girl simply flipped her off making her laugh harder. "Listen I would still be in my bed if it wasn't for ..." Warren had come up behind the two and after hearing what Jo was saying had pushed her shoulder stopping whatever she was saying. "Warren!" Issy said shocked.

"Sorry, babe. Jo just seemed like she needed a wake up." He said staring at said girl. Issy was shocked to see Jo actually looked sheepish. What in the world was going on? Shaking her head she decided she didn't really want to know.

"Ok, whatever, are we going out or staying for lunch." She asked the duo. "Staying." Ok, now she knew something was up when they both said it at the same time. These two never agree on anything that wasn't important. "I'm gonna pretend that everything is normal. I'm doing that because I trust that my boyfriend and best friend would tell me if there was something I need to know." Issy knew the power of a good old guilt trip.

"It's nothing. Let's just go to lunch, babe." Warren said kissing her head. Issy nodded her head staring at the two another moment before turning to do as he said. After making sure the girls were seated Warren offered to go get them some food. Nothing new there so they agreed.

She had gotten into a discussion with Jo about their college plans, she and Warren wanted to go into business as publishers while Jo with her healing powers was applying for nursing, when she had a moment of deja-vu. "You can't sit here." Issy stopped what she was sayin mid sentence. Looking over to the other side of the table her jaw dropped. Back in his leather jacket with his hair in his face and backpack on was Warren of two years ago.

Even his smirk at her shocked look was the same. Quickly trying to recover she played along. "That's too bad I'm not moving." She said having to push down a smile that wanted to break through. Warren sighed sitting down. "Well, that spot's only for my fiancé. So..." With that he pulled out a small box from his backpack making her jaw drop again and her eyes fill with tears.

"Warren! What?" She was so confused. "Isolde Josephine Stronghold. Today we're ending an era of our lives. I can't imagine going into the next one without you next to me. I love everything about you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you please give me the honor of calling you my wife?" Issy was flat sobbing by the end of his speech, nodding her head so hard she almost gave herself whiplash.

Then he opened the ring box and she lost her breath.

"It was my grandmother's. All the women in my family have tended to be small." He said with a smirk. "If it doesn't fit we can get it sized." Taking the ring from the box he took her shaking hand and slid the ring on. It smoothly glided over her knuckles. Warren chuckled. "Well, look at that. A perfect fit, just like us."

Issy was in such a haze she hadn't noticed all their friends had gathered around until they started cheering. She saw Will holding his phone and realized he had recorded everything for them. "Kiss her so I can go home!" Jo yelled joking. With a smile Warren stood up and pulled Issy carefully across the table.

Holding her up, arms under her bottom, he took Jo's advice and kissed his girl. Pulling back he looked into the eyes of his fiancée. He loved the sound of that, he loved the idea of calling her his wife even more. "Just so you know, I got permission from The Commander days ago." He whispered knowing she would worry when she thought about it.

She gasped happily. "Is that why he looked so teary last week?!" She said putting the pieces together. She smiled laying her head on Warren's shoulder.

She couldn't imagine being more happy than she was in that moment. She and Warren had applied for an apartment just off campus for the local college. They both had received early admission which gave them a chance to get a good apartment, having parents that are realtors as well as hero's helped a lot. Her two favorite people would be with her on the next journey they were starting. Now she had a wedding to plan.

Could life get any better?