Chapter 6 - The World in which we live

Max entered the simple, rustic house. A steaming bowl of rice and curry were on the small table. Liliana awaited him as she impatiently stared at the food. Her mother sat opposite, beckoning Max to take a seat with a gentle smile on her face.

"It's not much, but I hope you enjoy the food. Please eat up."

Max simply nodded before he started to dig in. He glanced at Liliana who seemed absorbed in the meal with no intention of starting a conversation.

Breakfast was over in a flash. Liliana's mother, Isabel, took the plates outside for a wash. During this time, Liliana subconsciously sent sporadic glances at Max while appearing to be in deep thought. Amused by her fluctuating expressions, Max whispered, "What's the matter?"

"It – It's nothing. Don't worry about it. Just stay quiet and let me do the talking."

Max noticed Liliana's hesitation. The girl was clearly thinking of ways to explain how the night had unfolded. As a stranger feigning amnesia, it would be hard to have any say in the conversation that was about to ensue between mother and daughter.

Making herself comfortable in her chair, Isabel sternly said, "Now then... Why don't you formally introduce me to this friend of yours?"

The question sent Liliana into a daze. She had been completely focused on trying to formulate a plausible excuse to explain her previously sorry appearance. So much so that the redundant question caught her off guard. "Uh – This is Max."

Chuckling at the hilarious state of the otherwise mischievous girl, Max extended his arm and said, "My name is Max Walker. It's a pleasure to meet you Ma'am"

"Walker?" Repeated Isabel as her eyes widened in surprise.

"Something wrong?"

"No, it's nothing."

Max eyed her suspiciously as he wondered if there was something odd about his last name.

"So Lily, tell me more about him."

Confused, Liliana wasn't sure on how to respond. Thinking back to how they had met, she realized she didn't know much about her new familiar. And she was fairly certain that Max hadn't lied about his amnesia.

"Why are you so curious about Max all of a sudden? Didn't you say you wanted to know about what happened last night?"

"Isn't he your familiar?" Isabel answered with a smile. "Did you think I wouldn't notice the insignia on his hand?"

"That's ..." Liliana hesitated and said, "I had intended to tell you but –"

"But?"

"It's just that... Well, look at him! He's human and he looks so weak! I wasn't sure how I should break it to you. You know... because he was summoned from the Guardian talisman you gave me."

"Hey!" Max interjected, looking offended. Being called weak by the girl he secretly saved got on his nerves.

"You be quiet!" Liliana snapped at him.

"Oh? From the guardian talisman?" Isabel was rather disappointed by the revelation in spite of having considered the possibility earlier. She sighed and turned to Max. "It seems my daughter's brought you some unnecessary trouble, I apologize on her behalf."

"No. No trouble at all" Max responded almost instinctively after noticing Liliana's glare.

"Now then... Lily!" Isabel stared at her daughter.

"Ye – Yes!"

"I want to know what made you use the talisman. Tell me everything! If you lie to me, being grounded will be the least of your worries."