Chapter 19 - The First Assignment Part 2

Within another large room, inside a desolate mansion, stood a proud man who had also taken an interest in the developments. Troubled, he paced back and forth and spoke to a formless, smoky figure.

"There's no doubt. This is definitely the boy from that night. Everything fits. With his strength, it shouldn't have been hard to defeat Charles and James."

The dark and sinister figure covered the room with a thick air of malice, its presence amplified by the lack of light. It quietly watched the Minister continue his soliloquy.

"There shouldn't be anyone of his strength from that village!" The more he reasoned, the more he realized that things were amiss. "I don't understand why he approached the girl... And why did he even agree to become her familiar? It's already strange for someone in some insignificant village to have such a rich bloodline. Could it be that her existence isn't a coincidence?"

The series of questions didn't stop there. The Minister dawned on another problematic realization. "If he was assigned to watch over her, then who is he reporting to? And why stay low key for so long? Is there a point to revealing his strength now? If it were me, I would use this show of might to hide an even greater trump card... or if I were making some sort of statement."

"And what reason would he have to do that?" The smoky figure hissed, "Do not over analyze matters. The boy is no different from ordinary brats. At that age, children are far too arrogant to think things through."

"Perhaps." The Minister replied with doubt still apparent in his eyes.

"What do you intend to do?" The figure shook its near non-existent head as it cut to the chase, "We're so close now. If something were to happen at this stage, I can't guarantee -"

"I know!" The Minister bellowed. The action was unusual for a man of his temperament. He sighed and repeated, "I know."

"Let me deal with this." The Minister added with his mana surging, "You worry about what you have to do. Fail me and you won't like the consequences."

Chuckling, the smoky figure disappeared, its voice ominously echoing in the room. "Of course."

"I would never have thought that the name that created a storm of grief eight years ago would once again foreshadow turbulence." The Minister held his head, sighing as he sank into his couch. "I've already come this far. Threat or not, I can't afford to take any chances."

***

Two months after the Induction, the clamor surrounding Max's performance finally faded away. Max's newly discovered levels of strength had earned him a swift upgrade in his training regime. A personally designed routine involving more spars, tougher body training, all to improve his intake of mana. But lessons aside, what Max found more annoying was the sudden surge in his popularity. Small talk with random students was a source of headaches, but the façade that came in the form of a pleasant smile hid his annoyance.

"Well, aren't you popular?" Lewis snickered, "I heard Linda from our class confessed to you recently. Are the two of you going out now?"

Max scowled. "You're really enjoying this, huh? I rejected her. Stop laughing!"

"Why? She's cute and was plenty friendly even before the Induction." Lewis wondered out loud before a mischievous smile surfaced. Playfully elbowing Max, he said, "Oh! I get it. I was right, wasn't I? You guys might not be engaged, but you have a thing for Liliana, don't you? Woah! Hey! That was close!"

After speedily dodging Max's sloppy attack, Lewis couldn't help burst out into more laughter. "If you were more upfront about your annoyance in class, you wouldn't be in this mess!"