Chapter 26

Patrick

  Patrick slowed down to catch his breath. He rested his hands on his knees, and brushed the sweat off his forehead with the back of his right hand. The trip to doctor Steven's room seemed a very long one. He held the keys with trembling hands, and tried them all until the last one unlocked the door. The room was dark with nothing but the light of the moon glowing through the glass window. The bed in the centre of the room was neatly made. Every other thing was neatly packed and laid indicating that doctor Steven was a very well organised person. He looked through the drawers one after the other, but didn't find anything of interest. He knew that doctor Steven won't hide important files in such an obvious place, but he couldn't resist the temptation to look through them. He opened a small walk-in closet and looked in it, and still he couldn't find anything. He sighed and sat down at the edge of the bed. His sight fell on an uneven section in the interior of the closet. He moved closer and brushed the edges with his fingers. He didn't have to use much energy to push it open. There they were. Everything he had been looking for. All the files and the reports from decades back, were right there in front of him.

  "Found what you've been looking for?" Asked doctor Steven.
Patrick froze then turned around quietly to face doctor Steven, who had grabbed a scissors from the dresser and was ready to attack him.
  "What are you doing?" Asked Patrick.
  "Let me ask you the same question. What are you doing looking through my stuff?"
  "I know everything."
  "Everything? I don't know what you are talking about."
  "Yes, you do. You know exactly what I'm talking about."
  "Care to explain?" Asked doctor Steven sarcastically.

  "It is over. I know all about your dirty work. I know what you had been up to all these years. I know about your filthy project and the failed experiments you conducted for your study. I heard you talking to Maria about it the other day."

  "Someone has been eavesdropping. Didn't your mama teach you some manners?"
  "Enough with the sarcasm. This stops now."
  "You are too late Patrick. I can't be stopped now. Very soon I will make history."
  "On what account? On the illegible subjects that you experimented on, or on the subjects that were totally fine but were killed while performing your sick ECT and other procedures? You pushed their limits and abilities. You tested random formulas and drugs on them, and failed to achieve positive results many times. You sacrificed many innocent lives because of your selfishness."
  "I did what I had to do. I did what any one in my place would do to thrive and become successful. I have waited decades for this. I will not let you ruin it for me," said doctor Steven angrily. His patience running out.
  "I will not let you walk away with it. I am taking these files with me to the police. It is over doctor Steven. You are over."

  "You think I am going to let you walk away with this? Just leave like that? Like nothing had happened? What a naïve young man you are. I am going to kill you like I killed your mother before you. She was stupid enough not to side with me and stand in my way. History will repeat itself. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."
  "That is what you thought."
  "What do you mean?"
  "You thought that you killed my mother, but she is not dead. She is still alive."
  "This can't be."
  "I made it in time before she died. The guard you assigned to get rid of her body was so drunk that he thought that he disposed her body, but I took her instead and now she is safe and sound."
  "Where is she?"
  "You really expect me to tell you," said Patrick sarcastically.

  Doctor Steven looked away from Patrick. "It is a shame. We would have made a great team had she agreed to side with me."
  "She would never side with a murderer like you. You have Maria. She would side with you in anything you do. You are taking advantage of the fact that she loves you. I can see the way you take advantage of her."
  Doctor Steven lets out a sinister laugh.
  "Enough! This ends now."

  He lunged towards Patrick with the scissors in his hand. Patrick threw himself to the side trying to get away from the sharp edge of the scissors which had found its way into the back side of the closet. The power goes off making it difficult for both of them to see in the dark. Patrick sensed doctor Steven's body, so he kicked him while he was off guard, making route for his escape from the small walk-in closet. With his path illuminated by the moonlight, doctor Steven dove towards Patrick and pushed the scissors into his thigh. Patrick let out a painful roar. He then used his other foot and kicked doctor Steven in the face. He lifted himself up and rushed out of the room. He locked doctor Steven in and marched down the corridor supporting his weight on the wall. He swallowed the pain and rushed to make it out as quick as possible. Doctor Steven was furiously banging and kicking the door in an attempt to break it open.