Chapter 31

Rachel

  The lights and sirens of the police had filled the place. Rachel was still in a state of shock as she and Patrick were rescued. They sat in the ambulance having their wounds treated. Patients were captured and contained while some that had escaped were being tracked down. Soldiers and policemen had taken over the place. She was now safe. Tears still ran down her cheeks every time she thought of the situation, of Stella, of everything. She couldn't make much sense of what had happened, and was glad that it all had ended. The nightmare was over. She can now go back to her family and most importantly her daughter, who she missed so much and longed to hold tight. Patrick was seated in front of her. His wounds were attended to. He had refused to be aided at the arrival of the ambulance. He wanted to save his mother first. The paramedics took all the safety precautions while getting her out of the basement. They made sure she was stable before taking her out of the room. The paramedics were in awe of Patrick's bravery and courage to save a soul in such tough circumstances.

  "Hey there. How are you feeling now?" He asked Rachel with a sweet gentle voice.
  "I am okay. All this happened so fast."
  "Yes, yes it did. The nightmare is over now Rachel. You will be back home in no time."
  Two men in suits approached them both.
  "Patrick Wayne and Rachel Hamilton?"
  "Yes" answered both simultaneously.
  "I am detective Payne and this is my partner detective Sanchez, do you mind if we ask you some questions?"
  They were both asked few questions about the incident before carrying out further investigation.

  Patrick told them everything about the files and all of doctor Steven's plan. They sent some of their forces to retrieve the files and investigate them.
  "Is everything okay?" Asked Patrick when he was left alone with Rachel.
  "Did you know about the black out?" Asked Rachel.
  "Yes I did."
  "It was your idea wasn't it?"
  "It was our only option considering the short frame of time we had.

We had to save you and the others before it was too late. You have no idea how dangerous doctor Steven was. Stella wanted to help. She said she owed it to you and all the others. She needed to do something good. She was a good person."
  "She risked her life for me. I will never forget that."
  "She was a brave woman. She saved us all."
  "How is your mother doing?"
  "She is stable, about to be transferred to the hospital. I have to go now. I will see you later. Take care Rachel."
  "Patrick"
  "Yes?"
  "Your secret is safe with me."
  "I know," he smiled faintly and rushed towards his mother who was being raised into the ambulance.

  "Rachel!"
  "Kevin? Oh my God it is you." She ran towards Kevin ignoring the pain and throwing her arms around him.
  "I am sorry Rachel. I am so sorry for everything. I should have—"
  "Just keep quiet and let me embrace this moment." They hugged for a minute before the silence was broken.
  "Mummy?"
  "Kelly?" She got out of Kevin's arms and threw her arms around Kelly smelling her hair and planting kisses all over her face. Tears rushed down her cheeks.
  "I missed you so much my baby!" She tightened her grip around Kelly.
  "Mummy, I am going to suffocate."
  "I am sorry honey," she loosened her grip. "I am just so happy to see you. I missed you so much."
  "Are you coming home now mummy?"
  "Yes honey, I am coming home."
  Kevin embraced the two of them. Rachel was now in the safest place she could ever be. In the arms of her family.