Chapter One-Hundred and Five: The Castle

The cannon. Linked to the direct Dulavelle line, it tells the country all at once one of three things. It will tell when a Dulavelle is born. Two cannons shall go off. The first, to give everyone a chance to watch the skies. The second cannon will be followed by a light display in the sky. A light display in which the colours are unique to each individual. Colours that will only ever be shown once more. This leads onto the second message it sends. When a Dulavelle dies. Three cannons will sound. The first to draw attention, to get everyone to look to the sky. The second to light up the sky with a single colour, telling the people what type of death had occurred. Execution? Murder? Natural causes? Accident? Suicide? The third would be the colours that were shown on the day that Dulavelle was born. Telling the world which royal had passed...

The summons to come to another "show" reaches the den at three pm. It is with a sigh, Shaelyn and the rest of the knights make their way out. Doing as they had done before. Leaving behind guards to look after the civilians whilst they watch whatever twisted display the King had in mind. It has been a very tough few weeks and Shaelyn is exhausted. Her father, the council and her grandfather had been working tirelessly to break all the cities across Vivelle and tarnish Illyana's name. The Knights across Vivelle have been trying to stop it, but Shae is beginning to think it will be a losing battle. Killing anyone associated with the rebellion is a sure way to get people to lose faith. Especially if it is disguised as being their best interests. Not exactly hard to convince them either with what they've been saying about Illyana recently.

"Another one?" Evie sighs as they leave. "This is the fifth one this month." Shae nods her head and the group join the stream of people walking into the arena. They wear normal clothes. Disguising themselves as regular city folk. Extra precautions are needed. Since the riots and fighting at the first one, guards are stationed everywhere. Their swords are already drawn.

Ren sighs and runs a hand through his hair. Heavy bags are under his eyes, caused by the stress of the situation. Shaelyn looked very much the same. She has been working tirelessly getting in touch with every contact she and her sisters made. Convincing them that lies are being spread about Illyana and trying to get their help debunking them. Of course, with public executions, many aren't willing to help. The group take a seat and the usual display begins. The council, the princesses and the King arrive.

"I am sorry that we must tell you this," the King begins. "However, in recent events, it has become clear that the best way to keep you safe is by telling you the truth." Shae closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. Ready for whatever shit her father is about to spill.

"Princess Illyana..." he sighs. "The princess has killed again." There are gasps around the arena and Shae opens her eyes, leaning forward. "A village not far from the Lupine territory slaughtered and burned to the ground. Two survivors saying that she was among the Lupine..." Shae zones him out and frowns. Illyana is with the Lupine... she gulps. But how does the king know that? Unless he doesn't and is just saying what will shock people. Her eyes fall on her sisters and her heart aches. She has not seen them for so long. They stand still and quiet, watching as their father continues to lie. Shae turns to see some of the people crying and shakes her head. How do they believe him? Ren leans over and whispers in her ear, having made the same observations as her.

"We're loosing," he tells her. "At this rate, when your sister returns the city will storm the castle to be rid of her." Shae nods her head and bites her lips. The crown has broken these people. Used brutality and murder to bring them in line. To think that their saviours are the people suppressing and stealing from them. She clenches her fists in frustration.

"I don't know who we are going to beat this..." she sighs. "Especially with people seeing my sisters up there." What is going on in that castle? Whatever game Fallon and Rayana are playing isn't working. The arena falls into silence as Ray steps forward. Shae frowns and leans closer. Even the king looks slightly surprised.