~4~

As I woke up, I saw the curtains still drawn around my bed, all except on one side. Through there, I could see an empty chair made of dark wood and a grey, stone wall behind.

This wasn't my room. I closed my eyes again, counting to ten slowly. Then I reopened them, only to find out that everything remained the same. I was at home, in the castle. His castle. Our castle... Last night's events had not been only a dream.

A sudden surge of happiness raced through my body and gave me an unexpected energy. I needed to see him. I had been waiting for too long... How long, exactly?

I sat up and looked around for slippers or any kind of shoes, except those from the previous night. But there was nothing, neither shoes nor dress. Even Katerina was gone.

Having decided that the lack of garments would not stop me in my exploration, I chose the softest of the blankets on my bed-- white, lined with a silvery-grey fur-- and wrapped it around me like a dressing gown.

Then I descended the few stairs of the wooden dais where my bed stood and touched the stone floor of the chamber with my bare toes tentatively. It felt freezing cold despite the lively fire burning in the fireplace, but its coldness could not stop me either; I half tiptoed, half ran to my mirror anyway. The large basin was already refilled with some clean and warm water. I washed my face and teeth, and the simple act made me feel refreshed enough, almost presentable again.

Hopefully, Katerina will keep her promise about the bath tonight. Finally, I combed my long, wayward hair, looking at myself in the mirror. There, that will have to do, I told myself, never quite happy with the result.

Too curious about my surroundings to muse about my looks any longer, I walked to the nearest window. The view of the Carpathian Mountains was breathtaking. High, snow-capped peaks towered in the distance, and some lower hills covered with colourful trees stood much closer. I could see several well-trodden paths disappearing into the undergrowth of the forest, but not even one person walking outside. All seemed perfectly still and eerily quiet.

Turning around, I noticed three different doors leading out of my chamber. I walked over to the one through which we had entered last night, set in the wall directly in front of me, and found it locked. That left me with two other options. I chose to try the one leading to the left, farther away from my bed. It was unlocked and led into a short, narrow, and dark corridor, and I walked through without hesitation. From the corridor, I stepped into a small library, and crossing it, I reached another open door.

Another bedroom. Vlad's chamber, surely-- I recognised the short, dark green and richly embroidered cloak he had been wearing the night before, now thrown over the back of a chair. This room was similar to mine, except the bed looked smaller and less comfortable than the one in my chamber. Maybe it was just the effect of all the dark colours, though-- the covers were inky blue, with some charcoal grey furs spread on top, and the curtains were made of thick, midnight black velvet. The bed was already made; he must have gotten up much earlier than me. Or maybe he had no chance to use it, I thought, overcome by guilt when I remembered him sitting by my bed at night.

Despite the freezing morning, the fireplace was empty, and one of the windows was open. Did he never feel cold? Attracted by the sound of voices coming inside through the open window, I walked over to it and found out that this room was overlooking the courtyard where I arrived with my group the day before. It was weird to see that even now, it was quite full of people, but they were dressed differently. The men, like Vlad, were wearing tight hoses or breeches instead of the typical, ubiquitous jeans, short fitted jackets, and wide cloaks. The very few women I could see in the group wore wide, floor-length dresses with unusually long sleeves and flowy capes. They were all pale, beautiful, and inhumanly attractive. It seemed to me that they were leaving, rather than coming.