~36~

The moment we reached the Entry Hall, one of the maids came to us, rushing, saying that Cook needed a word with me presently.

I was sure it was just something silly and unimportant about tomorrow's menu again, but the wedding seemed so important to Cook that I couldn't bring myself to tell her that I didn't really mind, or care, what everybody would eat.

"I'll see what Cook needs, and then I'll have to go up for a moment to do something about my hair. I can't possibly meet Rareş like this," I told Vlad, pulling at the strands of hair that had found their way out of my chignon and now floated freely around my face. "You go ahead, I'll join you as soon as I'm ready."

"As you like," Vlad said, walking with me towards the kitchen. "But don't take too long, please. I had to suffer Petru's company last night already, I can't possibly face him again on my own. I need you by my side," he pleaded as he pushed the loose curls behind my ear and kissed me on the cheek before leaving me in front of the kitchen's door.

"I promise I'll be with you soon!" I called as he made his way back to join the company in the Great Hall.

Having succeeded in pacifying the half-hysterical Cook in about ten minutes, I made my way towards my chamber fast.

I was so lost in thoughts about all that was happening around me-- the dinner I had to attend, the wedding that would happen the following day, and all those things I had talked about with Vlad over the last couple of days-- that I was halfway up the spiral staircase when I realised I shouldn't have come this way. I didn't have the key with me. But as I was already here, I decided to try the door anyway.

Luckily, I found it unlocked. I must have left it open the last time I used it, or maybe it was Vlad...

I rushed through the dim corridor towards my room, nearly stumbling over something that hadn't been there before.

A shoe...

The short hair on my forearms stood to attention as I entered the chamber and saw the person whom it belonged to. One of the knights was lying on the floor just behind the door. He was unconscious or... dead... I shivered as I approached him, trying to understand if I could help somehow, while my subconscious was screaming at me to run.

I turned towards my dressing room when I heard sounds of struggle, or fight, coming from inside, muffled by the closed door. It scared me enough to make me back away from the lifeless body and towards the spiral staircase.

A half-forgotten female voice coming from behind the curtains of my bed made me stop in my tracks.

"Oh, there you are, Lady Samara! We've been waiting for so long for this moment."

Alina.

I stood looking at her, motionless, at a loss for words. I didn't expect to see her ever again.

"It wasn't easy to get to you, Samara. I give it to my brother that he looks after you well. You look... glowing." A voice coming from the direction of my boudoir made me look away from the maid.

Radu.

His words were followed by a loud thud of the door of the dressing room, where all sounds I could hear before had ceased.

"What have you done to Katerina?" I finally managed to ask, trying to sound brave. "If you hurt her..."

Radu laughed, leaning against the closed door. "Oh, I'd love to see what you would do if I hurt your beloved nurse, but it's not her in there. Just your second knight."

He was looking at me so intently that his cold blue stare piercing through me made me shudder. I took another few steps back towards the corridor.

"Come here, Samara," Radu said, his now soft, cooing voice reaching me across the room. "Don't make this difficult, I just want to talk to you."