Choosing Day

COMMENT SUGGESTIONS PLEASE --------------------------- The first of November rolled around the corner without warning, waking the girls with a start. They scrambled with unusual diligence and excitement to ready themselves, for today was choosing day.
Hair was pinned, blouses ironed , whispers exchanged, and fears voiced. At a quarter after 10 the girls ran down the stairs in a very un-ladylike manner, unfortunately running into the men, in a seemingly sour mood on this important day. The older boys reprimanded them with ferocity, pinning three girls each, with only one strong arm, against the wall. Their tan skin contrasted deeply with the girls' pearly snow colored complexions. In due time however, they found sympathy in their hearts for the girls and let them on their way.
Scared to the bone, but also awed at the boys' dominance, the girls made their way to a waiting room, which was reserved for choosing day. Calmed by the reprimand, they sat primly for a quarter of an hour. Then, over the speakers, the first name was called. Chaos rained.
The girl that was first called was always paired with the most desirable man, and being his wife was a very sought out role. As the name echoed off the walls, mayhem broke out.
"Her?!"
"It couldn't be!"
"Is there a mistake? Are the teachers sure he asked for her?"
The voice echoed around again.
"Madeline."
She was frozen in fear. Was it right? She was the least developed of the bunch. She was different. And they hated her for it.
Nevertheless, the best man chose her. She, of the brown eyes, and blonde hair. She, of the little wiry frame. She, of the meek, most submissive, quietest personality.

She belonged to Jacob.