Chapter 10: Blink

Jason opened his eyes.

Blue light streamed around him, sweeping his hair back. He hung suspended in this nothingness, a force pressing on him, and he had the vague feeling he was being watched. He didn't care, however. All his cares vanished as he stared toward the coursing light. He smiled and closed his eyes, enjoying the serenity of this place.

Was that crying?

No, no, don't think about that, the stream seemed to say, its voice deep and soothing. Just enjoy. Take a break. No need to worry about anything. You've done so much already. Just sleep.

That was crying. Who could be crying in a wonderful place like this?

It is of no importance. Just sleep.

No.

Jason forced his eyes open. Pinpricks of red light scattered from him, vanishing in a heartbeat. Had the voice come from that? He wanted to heed it, but he was here for a reason. Who was crying? It came from behind him. If only he could face whoever was making that noise.

His body turned. It felt as natural as moving his limbs. As natural as that voice had been. As natural as the mid-fusion monstrosity that lay before him.

The girl's head stuck out of Captain Jennsen's shoulder, her torso from his side, and her arms and legs from his chest, back, and legs. Her body receded into Captain Jennsen's. Both were whimpering.

This is why I'm here. Jason floated toward them, his own thoughts dominating his head, the deep, soothing voice gone. This is how I can help. He grabbed the chick's hand.

In the blink of an eye, Jason wasn't holding onto the girl's hand. Instead, he was standing outside an open doorway. The room before him was filled with books, equipment, and little machines. A man with bronze skin and curly brown hair sat hunched over a desk, scribbling something down.

"Daddy," a little girl said. "Can you play with me?"

"In a bit." The man turned his attention to a machine and twisted one of the knobs. "Daddy's real busy. We'll play some other time."

The girl stamped her foot. "You always say that!"

"Don't raise your voice at me. Ask Mommy to play. It's very important that I finish this."

She wanted to say something, but couldn't. She turned, head to the floor, and walked down the hall. She went to Mommy's room and sat at her bedside. Mommy was thin, too thin. Her breathing came in rasps and she slept most of the day. She was awake now, thankfully.

"He wouldn't play?" Mommy croaked.

The girl shook her head.

"Can you play with me?" she asked, though she already knew the answer.

Mommy struggled to hold out a hand and she took it. It felt brittle, as if the slightest amount of pressure would shatter it. Tears welled behind her eyes, then cascaded down her cheeks.

Blink.

Jason was holding onto the girl's hand again, blinking fast. He'd seen through her eyes, felt anger at her father, sorrow for her mother. How had that happened? Jason was dragged forward: the chick's hand was receding quicker. He pulled harder, yet it didn't helped. He needed more leverage. He placed his other hand on the captain's chest.

Blink.

"Da!" a boy's voice cried out. "Da! You're home!"

Da laughed as the boy jumped in his arms, giving Da the biggest hug his little arms could.