rockabye •sixteen

...

It was Queen Leah's birthday ball and everybody in the kingdom was invited. As the Queen and her family pose for pictures, guests pile into the large ballroom. The door leading to the outside was also occupied by people.

Ariel and Eric were the first to greet Queen Leah. It was a warm greetings of hugging and wish happy birthday. Next was Melody and Louise, they bow and kiss the cheeks Queen Leah.

Serena and Athena come next and Queen Leah pulls them in for a hug. Leah took the chance to hug Athena long, loving the little girl as if she were her own grandchild. Athena bows the way she practiced and smiles.

"Happy birthday, Your Highness." Athena says. The people around look in aww at the adorableness. Queen Leah smiles happily.

"Thank you so much, my dear Athena. I hope you enjoy tonight's festivities." Leah says. Athena giggles and runs off to join the other children. Serena looks to Leah and bows.

"Happy birthday, Queen Leah."

"Thank you, my dear. May I say, you raised that little girl well on your own. Such manners she has. She is very fortunate to have people that love her."

"I make sure she knows that every day."

"Such a sweet girl. I'd hope you'd be Queen of Auradon. Well if not you, then sweet Athena will be."

"What do you mean?"

"Well of course Athena will be queen. Everyone will want her as queen above any child Ben decided to have with the evil girl."

"Queen Leah, I-"

"Well, of course she will be Queen. It is after all her birthright as the daughter of the royal family of Auradon. If she is not on the throne, your grandfather Triton will see to it that Auradon will not have calm days or seas. And no one wants that, my dear. Athena will be queen." Leah says. Serena just stayed silent. Leah smiles and cups Serena's hand in her. "Enjoy the festivities, my dear." She walks away to go greet others. Serena stares after her in shock. Never once had she thought that Athena might be heir to the throne. Ariel isn't heir to Atlantis, Serena isn't heir to her home kingdom, but she never realized that Athena was first in line.

Serena shook her head and turns around only to bump into someone's chest. Low and behold, it was Ben. He smiles down at her, happy to see her.

"Hi Serena, how are you?"

"Fine..." Serena says slowly. She wasn't too sure how to even talk to him. Same for Ben. Thankfully another person joined them. That person was Audrey.

"Hey, you two." Audrey greets. This was no coincidence. Early she had seen Ben heading her way. "You look beautiful, Serena."

"Thank you, Audrey. You look amazing, really." Serena says looking over Audrey's off the shoulder blue ball dress with.

"Thanks. My designer did not sleep for days just to have the beading of the top finished on time. You can never go wrong with too much sparkle and shine." Audrey smirks. She looks at Ben. "Ben, how's Mal? Not trying to take over the world again, is she? Kidding!" Audrey says with a laugh at the end at the sight of Ben's express towards it. Ben joins in with a chuckle.

"Haha. She's fine. We're fine." Ben adds. Serena looks away from him. Did it hurt to hear him say that? Yes, a little.

"Serena, where is Athena? I haven't seen her yet and I have a present for her." Audrey says with a squeal in delight. Serena smiles with a shake of her head. Ben's eyes widen at the name of his daughter.

"Audrey, come on. You're going to spoil her too much."

"I can't help it that she looks wonderful in every shade of color there is. It's a jacket and I got one made to match mine."