(12) The Mate's Kiss

I could feel the vibrations from Colt’s growl through my fingertips since they were lying carelessly on top of his chest. His sudden flash of anger didn’t faze me though and I even went so far as to tuck my head back under his chin while the warm rumbles continued. Colt’s arm, that was lazily holding me against him, tightened until my chest was pressed up against his side. My heart rate spiked at the feel of his hard warm side pressing into me, making me purr quietly with both pleasure and adoration.

“I thought we were done discussing this Allie.” His rough voice held a hint of aggravation to it.

Colt had told me earlier that he had to get up early in the morning to go to work with Linc and I assumed that meant that he wanted this conversation to stop so that he could get some rest, but the question had been nagging me ever since Six had thrown herself against him.

I felt myself sigh against his thick neck and slowly let my eyes flutter open. “No, you neglected to answer me the first time I asked.”

He started to pull out from under me and I whined low in the back of my throat as he arms slid away. My head hit the cold untouched pillow below me making me shiver and pull away instantly. Colt sat up using his elbows and looked down at me squirming under the blankets. His deep warning growl made me stop and look up at him.

“Why is it so important for me to answer?”

Even though I couldn’t really see him in the dark I felt his eyes glaring down at me. Out of habit I brought my lower lip into my mouth and started to bite on it nervously. Why was it so important for him to answer? I mean it wasn’t like we were mated or anything so I had no real reason to pry into his business. I could feel my mood drop instantly at thought of one simple word; mate. A warm surge coursed through my body causing me tremble and reach out for something important, something that I suddenly craved to touch.

My fingers frantically hit the sheets on the bed as I searched for what my body wanted desperately. When my fingers finally hit the firm hot flesh of Colt’s body my insides went crazy as the sudden craving subsided. For a moment I just touched his skin in adoration until I realized what I was doing and yanked my hand back. I frowned at my own strange reaction towards Colt. It wasn’t odd for me to want to touch him but for me to need it so badly…that was defiantly strange.

Colt growled down at me making me snap back into our conversation. I blinked up at his dark figure, “Because it made me upset.”

I could hear Colt’s jaw clamp shut at my response and a strange silence lapsed between us. The awkward quietness made me squirm under the covers as I waited for him to speak.

“Why did it make you upset?” His voice had taken on a more tolerant tone and I could feel him turn his body onto its side to that he was facing me.

“I don’t know.” I mumbled embarrassedly before burying my face into the cold pillow.

Colt’s warm hand came down and moved my hair away from the side of my face. I turned into his touch and when I opened my eyes I could have sworn I saw a flash of gold. “Allie,” He whispered warmly as he turned me onto my back. I felt his hot bare chest slide against my chest and I couldn’t help but tremble from the heat. His hand moved lazily to the back of my head, entangling his fingers in my long brown hair, and stealing the breath right out of my lungs.

Hopelessly entranced by his warm caresses and soothing voice, I blinked up at him mindlessly and muttered something incoherent. Colt pulled me against his chest and settled his chin back on my head. The heat radiating off of him was as hot and comforting as a fire. I snuggled myself against him and sighed blissfully when he started to speak again only this time his voice was back to its normal tone. “Six caught me off guard back at the bar. If I had known that she was going to do something like that it would have played out a lot differently. I can promise you this though, it won’t happen again.”

I smiled against his chest as my heart thudded happily inside my chest. “Thank you.” I mumbled.

I could feel Colt nodding his head. “Now if you don’t have any more pestering questions, I’d like to go to sleep.”

“Actually I do have one more question.” I yawned against him.

Colt let out an annoyed growl, “What?”

“Why are you working so hard to protect me?” I managed to muttered out the words even though I was already half asleep. As I waited for his answer I listened to the sound of his heartbeat. The long hard thuds of it sounded throughout his chest creating a soothing lullaby. After a few heartbeats I heard the sound of his thick raspy voice but I was too far gone to make out a single word. I fell asleep oblivious to what his reply had been.