(13) The Secrets and Lies

“Allie!”

I jumped at the sound of my name being yelled and snapped my head over in Jackie’s direction. Her gorgeous brown eyes were filled with both worry and curiosity as she kneed down beside me. The pat that she gave my thigh was soft and filled with concern when she realized that she had my attention. “You okay?”

Inhaling a deep shaky breath actually helped to calm my frayed nerves. When I looked back at her I tried to play it off as if everything was fine. “Yeah, I’m good.”

Jackie watched me wearily for a moment, trying to figure out whether or not I was tell her the truth. Feeling slightly uncomfortable over her bluntly staring at me I restlessly fidgeted in my chair. Her eyes narrowed at my movement as if were a sign that I was lying.

“Something has you freaked out Allie, I know it.” Her voice had lost its gentle tone and turned into something that I imagined a mother would have.

Not wanting to share the fact that I had just realized that Colt and I were mates I got up from my chair and hurried over to the living room. It’s not that I didn’t really want to talk to her about it it’s just that I felt as if I might say something wrong like; Yeah, Colt and I are mates but I only now just found out about it even though we’ve been living together for three days now, or maybe I would let it slip that I wasn’t really an Alpha.

Jackie frowned at my retreat and quickly followed behind me into the living room. Her persistency was something to be reckoned with. “Allie, come on sweetie.” She put her hand down on my shoulder to get my attention. “Tell me what’s going on.”

I kept my gaze on my knees as I sat down on the large couch with Jackie taking my side. “I can’t.”

“You can’t?” She asked shockingly.

I nodded my head slowly.

“Why the hell not?” She barked.

I jumped at her sudden fit of anger and looked over at her to see her face turned into a frown, the smile that she normally held was long gone. Her small delicate hands were fisted and her shoulders were tossed back in defiantly. It was in that moment that I stopped looking at her as a delicate human and started to see the dominate wolf that hid behind her carefully placed façade.

Of course in my mind I knew that I should be keeping up Alpha front but in that moment I lost a small shred of it and you could see her notice it. Her big brown eyes went as wide as saucers and her shoulder’s dropped a notch.

“You’re not,” A protective growl formed in my chest almost as a plea for her not to go on. She took that exactly as it was and her eyes grew even wider with the realization. “You’re not an Alpha.”

Scared over what she might do I tried to keep hold of the remaining strands of being an Alpha. “Watch your tongue!” I snarled.

A slow smile started to form on her mouth as she scooted a bit closer to me, letting her own conclusion sink in. “You’re not an Alpha.”

The snarl that I had been grumbling died out as fear started to sink in. All of the precautions Colt had taken to keep me safe, all of the hard work he had done to protect his mate, I had just burned it to the ground with one little jump. Letting my weak side come back out I slowly backed away from the more dominate wolf. She laughed at my move and advanced on me.

“There’s no need to be scared of me Allie, I won’t hurt you.” She had spoken in a friendly tone but I wasn’t convinced. She noted that and continued on anyway. “Come on Allie, I’m one of Colt’s best friends and so is Linc. I would never attack another one of his friends without a serious reason.”

Just thinking of Colt made the fear that was tightening in my throat started to weaken. If she did do anything to me Colt would defiantly not take the offense so lightly. With that in mind I slowly started to relax. Jackie practically jumped up in her seat like a new pup and smiled over at me excitedly.

“So I was right!” She gloated. “Well if that is the case than I have a few questions for you.”

I could feel my skin prickle at the thought of answering any of her questions. “What do you want to know?”

She lifted up one slim finger to her chin and tapping it while she decided which of her many questions to ask first. When she finally settled on one her eyes lit up as she was more excited about asking it than she was of the answer I might give her. “Why did Colt tell Six that you were his Alpha?”

Relieved that the question wasn’t the one that I had thought it would be I sighed. “He wanted me to be the Alpha so that no one would even think about hurting me.”

She marveled over the answer like it was a happy ending but that was short lived. “Why does Colt want to keep you safe, are you like secretly his sister or something?”

I blench at her question. “No I am not his sister. I was an only child!”

She flicked her wrist at my response. “Don’t matter, I still want an answer.”

A blush rose to my cheeks at the answer I was about to give. “I actually think I just came up with that answer myself.” I rung my fingers together and averted my eyes from her.

“Well, what is it?” She egged on.

I bit the edge of my lip. “Well, I’m pretty sure that I am his mate.”

Jackie gasped at my answer before she started jumping up and down. “Are you serious? Oh gosh that is so awesome! You had better no be lying to me right now because I will freak out if you are.” She let out a carefree giggle before she stopped jumping. “When did you find out?”

“A few minutes ago.”

Her smile dimmed a little as she stared at me. “But you were with me a few minutes ago, Colt’s not even here.”

I nodded. “I know.”

“Then how could you know if you are mate? You haven’t kissed him.”

I fiddled with the edge of Colt’s large shirt before answering. “Well I’ve been thinking. The first time that Colt met me he saved my life from an attack from another wolf and I hadn’t even spoken a single word to him. He put his life on the line for a total stranger and then he practically took me under his wing once I followed him into the human world. Then there is the whole Kirk thing-

“Kirk?” She yelled the question out. “You know who Kirk is?”

My eyebrows shot up to my hairline but not just because I was surprised that she had yelled but more so that she knew who he was. “You know who Kirk is?”

She nodded her head worriedly. “Yeah, I used to be part of his pack back when Colt was the Alpha.”

What? I sat there for a moment and just stared at her. I knew that Kirk and Colt used to be friends but I had never assumed that they had been in the same pack. Come to think of it I hadn’t even thought that Colt had been in a pack at all let alone the original Alpha.

“When Colt was the Alpha?” I whispered out.

Jackie smiled slightly. “Yeah I was a part of the original gang Kirk, Colt, Me and Hailey.”

I could feel my chest tighten and eyes bulge at the sound of the name. Hailey had been Colt’s old girlfriend that had dies two years ago and the last time I had herd her name I had practically had to throttle Colt for information but I still had this nagging feeling that there was still so much that I didn’t know about her.

“So about Hailey…” I started but already Jackie was shaking her head.

“I’m not talking to you about her until you tell me what happened with Kirk.”

Seeing no harm in telling her about how I had come to meet Kirk I continued, “I met Kirk the same night that Colt brought me back to this apartment for the first time. Kirk tried to…he tried to kill me and until recently I didn’t know why.”

“Because you are Colt’s mate?” She guessed.

I nodded my head shyly at first. “Yes I believe so. Colt scared him off that night but Kirk said something along the lines of ‘I will kill her and only then will we be even’. Of course I have no idea what any of that can possibly mean so
Now it is your turn.”

Jackie groaned at the fact that I hadn’t really elaborated on my story and she probably had lots of questions but she went on anyway. “So Hailey, Kirk, and Colt were like the three amigos. Ever since they were little they had gone everywhere together. It wasn’t until his senior year of high school that Colt started to show an interest in Hailey but still the man didn’t ask her out. I think it was because he didn’t think he was man enough for her or something but than a year later he became Alpha of the Blackpaw pack and he finally worked up the nerve to ask her out. They dated for like two years and I thought that they were mates but then I guess she found her mate and moved away. At least that was what Colt told me. After Hailey left, Colt and Kirk just fell apart and then Kirk turned into some big bad wolf.”

She repositioned herself on the couch and turned to face me more openly. “I had left the Blackpaw pack a few months before Colt and Hailey broke up and she had left so quickly that I hadn’t even gotten the chance to say goodbye. Hey, you know what? I’ve been bugging Colt to get me Hailey’s new number but he always seems to forget, maybe you can convince him to get ahold of it for me?”

The ball that had been forming in the middle of my stomach at the start of her story was in hard knots. My fingers were now nail-deep into my thighs and my eyes were strained to hold back the tears I felt coming. Why had Colt lied to her? Why had he told her that Hailey was alive and mated when he had told me that she was dead?

Not wanting Jackie to ask me any questions that I knew I wouldn’t have answers for I simply went alone with Colt’s lie and nodded my head. The grateful smile that formed on her face and touched her brilliant eyes made me feel as if I was the worst person in the entire world for lying to her. An image of Colt flashed in front of my eyes and suddenly I found myself frowning. That man had a lot of questions to answer when he got back.

*****************************************************************

Hey guys!! Thank you for all of the constant support and comments :) i'm really happy that you all love this story so much XD i may be updating again tonight so be warned!!