Chapter 9: Basic Need

"It's for soccer, Mrs. Cooper." I smiled, keeping eye contact while telling a flat-out lie. "I need to talk to Mia about some plans for the upcoming season." 

After Agnes, lying was not an issue if it meant avoiding another horrible dream like that. No more. I couldn't live that way, not when I knew there was a solution. 

Last month, Mr. Nelson had let me make up an assignment by helping Mrs. Cooper, one of the secretaries, sort registration paperwork after school. She dreamed of school soccer games; a die-hard fan. 

She bobbed her brunette head for a moment, the tight bun at the back bouncing with the motion, but she seemed confused. "And why can't you ask Ms. Greene herself for her schedule?" 

"That's the whole problem. I can't seem to find her. If I knew her schedule, then I could at least track her down." 

I glanced again at the clock, hoping I could convince Mrs. Cooper before Mia went to her next class. The smell of toner and paper permeated the office; my stomach was already churning with anxiety, and the smell made it worse. For now I was the only student in the room, but in just a few minutes the bell would ring and it would be packed. 

"Yes, well—hmm . . . " The school secretary turned her attention to her light blue sweater and tugged on a fuzzball clinging to the front. I needed to switch tactics. 

"I understand." I raised my hands and took a step back from her desk in surrender. "I mean, there are probably privacy issues or something. I just wanted to talk to her about coordinating another joint practice. It'd be amazing if we could help each other. You know, take State with both teams this year." 

Mrs. Cooper's eyes glazed over for a moment. I knew her weakness. No school in our state had won both the girls' and boys' title in over thirty years. 

"I'll see if I can find her on my own." I shrugged and pulled my backpack over my shoulders. "Have a good day, Mrs. Cooper." 

"Well . . . " She cleared her throat and turned back to her keyboard. "I suppose if it's for the good of school sports." 

The paper coming through the printer seemed to call to me. Everything else froze while it inched its way out. Finally, grabbing the sheet, she handed it to me with a sly grin. "Go Boulders." 

"Thank you." I moved to the side of the office as other people pushed toward the desk. I'd been so focused on getting the schedule I hadn't even noticed the bell ring, but with how full the halls were, it must have. 

I saw that Mia had PE next and then lunch. As much as I wanted to see her, I didn't think going into the girls' locker room was the answer. I would wait. It would only take one glance in her eyes, and then I'd be able to see her dreams again. 

I folded the paper carefully and opened my backpack. After shuffling pencils and papers around for a minute, I found a folder and tucked the schedule gently inside. It was no less than a lifeline for me— the last bottle of water on Earth. 

Glancing up, I saw Jeff Sparks looking straight at me. Something in his expression told me he'd witnessed some of my conversation with Mrs. Cooper. I forced myself to meet his eyes in spite of the guilty shiver that ran down my spine. It didn't help that Thor stood behind him, looking as primed to pulverize as ever. 

"Hey, man. What's up?" 

"What are you doing?" Jeff's tone was casual as he glanced at the folder still poking out of my backpack. He knew exactly what I'd done. 

"Just checking on some problems with my schedule." 

"Hmm, I see." He slouched down and dropped his bag to the floor. Everything about him was so relaxed. I wondered if my guilty mind was playing tricks on me. Maybe he didn't know. "Did you get it figured out?"