Chapter 17: The List

The next day dragged by so slow I only survived my last class by thinking up a hundred different ways to destroy the clock on the wall. Since we were in different grades, Addie and I had zero classes together, which made the day feel even longer. I knew what the stakes were. She could decide I was crazy, or she could believe me. The help of Mia's best friend would be a huge asset in resolving my crisis, but it was more than that. I wanted Addie back on my side, in my life. I needed her to believe in me again. And if she could tell me what the e-mails said, or even convince Mia that I wasn't the one sending them, that wouldn't hurt either. 

On top of that, I had to know if she remembered me from her dream. If she did—well, that could change everything too. 

I leaned against the lockers outside the chemistry lab in an effort to stop myself from pacing. Chemistry was Addie's last class of the day. I hoped I could catch her on her way to the parking lot and convince her to talk to me. 

I'd have to see if I could get my keys from Finn. He'd been doing most of the driving lately. After about the fourteenth time I'd heard him mutter about wanting to live long enough to go to college, I threw my keys at him—he'd never given them back. 

It was safer for everyone this way. I was so tired. Every day that passed seemed to add ten pounds to each eyelid. I could barely keep them open—keeping them focused was impossible. 

It was like my body had readjusted to real sleep with Mia and was acting more like a regular person's. And now, after only a week without Mia's peaceful dreams, the four years of sleep deprivation had caught up with me. Without her dreams, without real sleep, I knew I couldn't keep this up much longer. 

A guy turned the corner at the end of the hall and I caught a glimpse of that same spiky brown hair, but when I glanced up he ducked into the next classroom. He didn't have the jacket on, but I could swear it was the Blind Skull guy. With everything going on with Mia, I'd forgotten about finding him and figuring out who he was. 

The bell rang and I jumped about a foot, making a couple of sophomore girls across the hall giggle. I grinned and shook my head as they waved and smiled. Addie was halfway down the hall before I realized she'd passed me. Hefting my backpack on my shoulder, I hurried to catch up with her, but people kept pouring out of the classrooms between us, slowing me down. 

Coach Mahoney turned the corner at the end of the hall. "Parker! I need to talk to you." 

Addie was already out the door; I didn't have time to stop. Besides, missing a few—okay, most—of Jeff's practices wasn't the same thing as missing Coach Mahoney's practices. "I'll stop by your office tomorrow, Coach!" I called over my shoulder, speeding up. I'd been aroundMahoney long enough to know he cared more about performance on the field than politics off it. And he'd never had a single complaint about my performance. 

"Parker!" he shouted again. 

I sprinted through the door, down the stairs, and still didn't catch up with Addie until we'd reached the parking lot. 

"Addie, wait!" I yelled when my feet hit the pavement fifteen feet behind her.

Addie froze, then pivoted around to stare at me. 

Addie—dreams of spontaneous concerts, spooky walks in the park . . . and me.

At first, a look of disbelief and anger filled her face, but when she opened her mouth nothing came out. She closed it, confusion filling her eyes, and she waited. It took me a full minute to realize she was giving me a chance to speak. 

"We need to talk." Everything about the way she glared at me screamed that she wanted to say no, to tell me off. I rushed on. "It's really important. Please."