Chapter 9 Resistance and Resistance 2/2

"Encrypted audio, dot, MP3," Jessica mumbled under the background noise. Indelible concentration sated her restlessness. Therapeutic problem-solving always barred everything else from her stream of thought, and she didn't have to remember the present in order to function as normal—her level of normal. Such deep concentration drew her friends' attention.

Valerie had seen Jessica like this before, executing code, scribbling alphanumerics, or breathing life into hardware. But that excited look on her face, like a witch over a cauldron, meant she was on the path to answers. Shannon noticed it, too, the intense focus and control, a level of focus she wasn't sure she could match despite countless hours meditating. Jessica's friends keenly observed and waited for the end result, clueless as to the meaning of the onscreen characters, numb to their own excitement.

"Unlocked!" the nerd nearly screamed. "I like to break without breaking. As the boobed droid with brain matter, this was manageable."

Valerie leaned closer. "So, what's inside?"

"I have to admit, I'm curious as hell," added Shannon.

Energy, sobriety, somberness; Jessica's expression fell three levels. "Could this really be related to Pine Rim and Beth?" She mulled over the screen, specifically on a bare audio file ready to commence playback.

"You'll finally get to know," egged Valerie. "We'll know."

The sound of ringing broke the moment, anticipation interrupted by a call and the hologram of a woman's profile.

"That's Eva," said Jessica. "My boss. It has to be because I've missed work."

"Can't you take it later?" said Valerie.

"She doesn't call this late..."

"Pick it up or don't, Jess," said Shannon.

Hesitantly, Jessica accepted the call.

"Buonasera!" Eva yelled. "Sto cercando il dolce Jes!"

"Hey, Eva..."

"Ehi, I have not seen chetah and wondered if she was okay!'

"Yea, I should have called in my sick days. My coughing and blueberry paleness wouldn't have worked for the customers, but I should've told you."

"You're always pale!"

Silent as could be, Valerie and Shannon listened and shot awkward stares, fretting. Somehow, the call transformed into a frivolous conversation having nothing to do with work, before Eva suddenly questioned, "Are you home right now?"

Jessica scowled at her two friends, who shrugged, then coolly answered, "Yea, Eva, I'm home."

"Bene! Because you should be resting if you are sick. See you tomorrow night!"

"Okay, Eva. Have a good night."

"Byeee!"

Back against the mesh, she caressed her chin meditatively. "That was weird."

"What?" Valerie shrugged. "What's weird about it?"

"I always start work in the morning, and she's never there at night."

"That is weird," said Shannon, tilting her head. "But where were we?"

Jessica's watch vibrated, further pricking Valerie's patience. Nonetheless, Jessica checked the message, noting the Ghost Wire tag. It proved to be nothing more and nothing less than a warning: You don't have much time. Leave.

"I'm copying all the chip's information.

Neither Valerie nor Shannon understood Jessica's newfound urgency. Disturbed, they observed her dominance of the keyboard with R2-D2 jammed in the port. File after file transferred from the tower to the flash drive.