Chapter 15 Darkstar 1/2

Sub Terra base was up in arms when Jessica and her friends raced out of the tent. The alarm and red lights pulled sleepless faces out of the barracks and into combat gear. The hustle inspired a tidal wave of tension under the loom of imminent danger, which could explain her quivering.

Seconds passed. The large hangar doors opened for the first time, much like how the rebels parted for Monarch. His calm gait contradicted their excitement, again. He was expecting something or someone specific.

At first, a rabid hiss snuck through the corrugated hangar doors. By the time they lifted and clicked, a low, mechanical roar spilled through, a roar that jumpstarted into an engine cacophony. Several sleek cars scurried into the base.

"No way," stammered Valerie.

Jessica darted. "Who are they?"

Too fast, the small convoy stopped in the middle of the path, nearly fumbling into the crates and gathered rebels.

"Hold fire!" said Monarch.

When the siren stopped, the foremost vehicle propped its front door and revealed a figure in dark metal. As he scurried from the passenger side to the backseat, the helmet visor grated up to reveal a tired complexion. "Help me!" he implored, lifting a bloodied man from the Ultrasuede. 

A few guards hurried to assist, but in carrying the passenger away they created a blood trail.

"Medic!"

Personnel in white flexed open a stretcher on their way to the convoy. Meanwhile, the other car doors burst open. An arm in a broken gauntlet, streaked and stained with blood, reached over the window. The man to whom it belonged had a modern carbine on his back, and as he stood up, he forcefully removed his helmet for no other reason than to toss it aside. Jessica beamed for recognition—something about his brown eyes and rugged jawline. He reminded her of someone. He turned toward the direction of a shout.

"It was a shit show of a mission!"

"Calm down!" he barked.

Monarch stopped within a few feet of the familiar man. "What happened, Raptor?"

"Trouble at the extraction."

"Were you followed?"

"I don't think so. That's the only good news I have. "

Jessica and Shannon stared at Valerie for any clue as to what was unfolding. Valerie hesitated. "I think this team was supposed to find the people who have us the chip, Jess. But, I don't see anyone else... I don't see a courier." Several of the armed newcomers walked right past them.

The paramilitary crew was dirty, beaten, and utterly demoralized. No energy, defeat engraved on their faces, they sank the spirits of everyone nearby.

"Once again, we got nothing done!" a voice shouted, that same irritated voice. Jessica peered back, searching for the complainer. Simultaneously, Raptor retorted.

"It wasn't for nothing, Ike!"

The operative known as Ike turned to another squad member who was stepping out of the next driver's seat, then grabbed him by his hard bevor and shoved him against the door. "You pull that shit you pulled, again, you're not making it back from the next op!" he spat. Everyone else stared in disapproval.

As if there isn't enough tension.

Raptor quickly wretched Ike off the other squad member. "Take five!" he exclaimed. "Actually, take the rest of the morning to cool off!"

Ike ambled with wide-set shoulders as tense as his behavior, and brown eyes with vestiges of red. He joined the rest of the fireteam in their retirement to the barracks, allowing everyone else to breathe easy.