twenty

Louis and Harry sat pressed up against each other for a while. Just basking in each other's presence. Harry did wonders for calming Louis' mind and by the time that he had gathered enough courage to face his mother, he was completely at peace.

"What am I supposed to say to her?" Louis asked Harry. He was completely in the dark about this situation. He had never liked a boy before Harry. Frankly, he had never been particularly interested in anyone before Harry.

"I dunno, Lou." Harry paused for a moment and squeezed Louis' hand. "Do you think that maybe she doesn't care? I mean if she did, wouldn't she have woken us up and kicked me out?"

Louis thought for a moment. His mum had always made vaguely homophobic comments to him and his sisters. No direct "I hate gay people" or anything but more along the lines of looking down upon them in a minor sort of way. After all, his mum did have gay friends so how bad could it be?

What Harry was saying made sense. If his mum had the kind of problem with it that would truly change his life, she likely would have yelled at him from the moment she caught the two cuddling in his bed. In his defence, if he had a bigger bed, there could have been more space between them.

"I guess you're right, H." Louis took a deep breath and turned to face Harry who was looking at him with green eyes full of hope. And there was the other reason Louis had to do this.

Harry was so, so scared to tell his mother. Louis thought that maybe by telling his mum first he could show Harry how 'not scary' it really was. At least he hoped that would be what happens.

Louis leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to the corner of his boyfriend's lips. "Let's get this shit done then."

---

They both got dressed before Louis led them down the stairs, his hand holding tightly onto Harry's. They walked to the kitchen, Harry just a step behind Louis, to see Jay, Louis' mum, standing in front of the stove, cooking something.

"Mum?" Louis asked quietly, his voice cracking. Harry squeezed his hand in the hopes of calming him down a bit.

Louis, on the other hand, didn't even feel Harry squeeze his hand. All he could feel was his heart pounding in his chest, the sound reaching his ears. He really didn't want to do this. He was absolutely, fucking terrified.

Jay turned around and smiled at her son, glancing at Harry for less than a second before returning her gaze to Louis and speaking. "Does your friend want breakfast, Louis? I'm making pancakes."

Louis frowned. Friend? "Mum, can we talk?"

"Sure honey," She said, turning back to the stove and flipping the pancake that had been cooking on the pan. "What's up?"

"No, can you come sit?" Louis asked, motioning to the kitchen table with the hand that wasn't being held firmly in his boyfriend's grasp.

"Alright, let me just finish this pancake." Louis nodded and led Harry to the table, sitting down and motioning for the boy to do the same. They sat, holding hands under the table for a minute before Jay came to the table, placing a plate with a stack of pancakes in front of the boys.

"Dig in," She said, taking a plate off a stack and holding it in front of Harry. Not wanting to be rude, Harry took the plate from her, letting go of Louis' hand to do so. However, neither of them reached for any of the pancakes.

Louis took a deep sigh before speaking, hoping to calm his nerves even the slightest bit. "You saw us."

"Saw you what?" Jay asked, a faint smile still present on her face as she looked back and forth between Louis and Harry.