Chapter 25 ❧ Repent

Hello everybody! We're at the last stand now. This will be the finale in three parts.

The updates will change to once every three days starting today (Sat, Tues, Fri).

•●•●•●•●•

Fervid anticipation pumped through my veins, creating an extreme urgency. It coaxes me to push faster despite the arduous battles that should have drained me to exhaustion. Solely adrenaline has kept me standing- and maybe even Grimm at my side.

We pass by numerous areas of conflict, even spotted Rena Rouge and Carapace battling their own set of criminals, in our hurried attempt to chase against time. I spot the park where even the police is battling against the villain Stormy Weather. There's no chance to stop and comprehend the madness around as for in every street lies a super villain we've seen before. From a phony Princess Fragrance to a mock Mr Pigeon.

"Over there!" Grimm alarms me, pointing a wing to the far side of the Pont de la Tournelle Bridge. Ladybug and Chat Noir seem to be balanced on the railing, eyeing the black icy waters below.

I sigh in relief- about to make a beeline for them. But just as I take a single step onto the concrete white bridge, giant waves slapped onto the sides as the water eddy and swirl in wild currents.

"Woah!" I throw my arms out, struggling for balance as the bridge under me literally shakes on impact. An ear-splitting roar reverberates in the air- as loud as a raptor. "What the hell was that?"

As if on cue, the waters erupts into a humongous splash with the droplets falling down like cold rain. The water seems to part and a colossal but slender creature with pure white scales sprouts out. It's bloody eyes look down with malice, pure white scales contrast the dark of night, and blue fins sharp and jagged at its edges. Oh my God what is that?

"Fascinating! I haven't seen a live sea serpent in millennia," Grimm praises, eyes glowing with wonder.

"A living sea serpent?" I splutter, crouching down to avoid its gaze. Ladybug and Chat Noir swing directly on to the gargantuan creature 10 storeys tall, attempting to apprehend it.

"Well, probably not since they've been long extinct. This one may be an amplified illusion."

The serpent's long tail end, just as decorated with deadly fins as its head, slams onto the bridge like a whip, threatening to cut the infrastructure in half. I fall onto my back gracelessly. I can't talk- much less negotiate with the superheroes like this!

"They're struggling." I mention, watching the heroes send blow after blow onto the sea serpent fruitlessly. I consider helping out but the way the monster rained down chaos so authentically may give me doubts about the serpent as a mere illusion. "We'll have to go in ourselves. Uhm do you think my rings could extend to capture the serpent?"

"It's only a trick of the eye- maybe including all your other senses. It could disappear with Oblivion since it's not real."

"All right," I say, trusting his words. "Witching hour!"

I transform instantly. Holding a gloved fist, I command, "Oblivion!" A yellow aura smokes around my hand in ardent swirls.

I turn towards the battle. Why haven't they used their special abilities yet? Maybe they're on their last leg since fighting the super villains running amok since this morning. I press a fist onto the serpents tail end still settled on the bridge.

The dark cloud of oblivion materialises around the monster but not swift enough to take instant effect. Ladybug coils her yo-yo around its thick neck. She lands precisely back on the railings and puts all her might to pulling it downwards. She must actually posses an uncanny strength as she's able to make it bow down a metre.