Part Seven

Flashes of light and bits of conversations floated before her eyes. Unknown voices were echoing throughout her mind. A pair of familiar brown eyes but instead of anger they held a soft warmth. A young boy running ahead of her, their laughter reminding her of what once might have been. She saw other young  boys and girls and then only fire. So many emotions were coursing through her: hope, sadness, disappointment, fear, love. She felt power tingle at her fingertips, a feeling that called to her from the depths of her mind. She felt as if she had found a piece of herself. She went to reach for it-

Alwyn awoke suddenly, her head pounding terribly. She moved to sit up but her body screamed in pain. Not one part of her didn't hurt. She was in her room and it took her a minute to remember what had happened in the training room. Ren had beat her and she hadn't known why. She didn't want to be afraid of him, but now Alwyn couldn't stop thinking that he might do it again. That he might hurt her worse the next time.  She sat up holding her side as if it would lessen the pain of moving.  As she did a shadow moved in the corner. Alwyn, startled, jumped back against the headboard and let out a noise of pain at the sudden movement. The shadow was revealed to be Kylo Ren. His eyes took in her state and he moved closer to the bed. He reached out a hand as if to brush her hair from her face but then Alwyn flinched. His eyes filled with pain and sorrow as he jerked his hand away.

"I apologize for what happened in the training room. I did not mean to hurt you." Kylo's dropped his head and stared at the floor. Alwyn felt bad that she had made him upset. But he had also crossed a line in training, dark side or not.

"What was that in there? I mean, you were so angry and I wasn't even being sarcastic. That was kind of not cool." Alwyn tried to lighten the mood. She wasn't one to stay mad at someone long, even if that person had hit her repeatedly with a staff and made her bust her head open. Kylo ripped his head up, a shocked expression on his face. He was expecting her to be upset and to hate him. Kylo did not expect forgiveness this quick or even at all. It had been so long since anyone had shown him a bit of kindness. Kylo felt even worse about what happened and the fact that he was feeling this much emotion at all worried him. If Snoke found out, he would get rid of anything he deemed a distraction. And right now that thing was Alwyn. Kylo Ren didn't know when he had gone from indifference to concern for the girl. She just had this natural draw to her. She had even managed to befriend Hux, a feat that seemed impossible to Ren.

"Why are you so quick to forgive me? I have done so much wrong. I took you from your planet and killed everyone you knew. I do not deserve forgiveness."

"You're wrong. Everyone has the potential for good, even the worst of us."

"Don't look for any redeeming qualities. I don't have any." Ren moves to sit on the bed beside her and glared into her eyes.

"Wrong again

"Wrong again." Alwyn said in a sing song voice. "You do have those qualities. I've seen them, even if you don't want to see them yourself." Ren's eyes soften slightly and Alwyn grinned at him. He shook his head slightly as he walked to the door.

"Sooo, training again tomorrow?" She looked at him hopeful. Her skills were really improving and she didn't want this incident to halt her progress. He kept his back toward her.

"Yes." He sighed and left the room. Alwyn wanted to do her happy dance but she was still very sore. She squealed happily instead. Little did she know, Kylo was still behind the door and heard her excitement. He chuckled at her silliness and continued on his way.
-------------------

Later that day Alwyn decided to stretch her legs. The climb out of bed was painful but the more she walked the less stiff she became. Her stomach rumbled and she realized she hadn't eaten all day. Cafeteria here I come. Running to the bathroom Alwyn found a tie to pull her hair up. She looked in the mirror and was surprised to see a huge bruise forming on her temple. Huh. Oh well. She passed by several troopers in her way and she waved at all of them. No harm in being friendly. Several stopped and turned to watch her walk away, wondering how this strange girl could stand to be around the evil Kylo Ren. Once in the cafe, Alwyn grabbed her food and hunted for a spot to sit. She grinned widely when she spotted Hux eating alone at a table in the back. She skipped over and plunked down beside him.

"Hiya Huxy!" The nickname stuck after her outburst that one day, and Hux had never corrected her. Hux would die before he admitted it but he secretly enjoyed the name. He liked having a friend that wasn't forced to like him or talked to him just because of his title.

"Hello Alwyn. Have you caused any trouble today?" He grinned slightly at her. His grin turned into a frown when he saw the forming bruise on her head. He grabbed her chin and turned her head to get a closer look. "What happened?! Was it that stormtrooper again? I knew we should have locked him away the first time-"

"No Hux. Nothing happened. Ren and I were training and I fell into a table. I'm okay." She patted his arm trying to calm the man down.  Hux didn't quite believe her story as he knew first hand how Ren could behave.

"Ah, speak of the devil." Hux saw Kylo enter the cafeteria and head their way.

"Hux, what did I say about calling him the devil?" Alwyn wagged her finger at him.

"That it's offensive to the devil?" Hux grinned mischievously knowing Ren was within hearing range.

"I heard that." Kylo Ren was now standing in front of the pair once again in his mask.

"You were supposed to." Hux glared at the man.

Alwyn didn't like that her only two friends hated each other. Well, she wasn't sure if Kylo was at the friend point yet.

"Come on guys. Couldn't you try to get along? For me?" Alwyn gave them her best puppy dog eyes and pouted her lip. They both looked at her and then each other.

Hux sighed

Hux sighed.

"Alright fine." Alwyn grinned from ear to ear and hugged Hux from the side.

"General, when you are finished conversing you are needed in the control room." Ren turned around sharply and left the room. Hux's jaw dropped.

"He must like you." It was Alwyn's turn to be shocked.

"Why would you say that? He barely even talks to me."

"That's as close to nice as he has ever been with me. He's attempting to "get along" as you put it." Alwyn was glad that maybe Kylo was warming up to her. She knew that if he let her she could show him that he didn't need all the walls he'd built around him. That it was okay to be happy and enjoy life.
-----------
A/N
This has been my favorite chapter to write so far!! I'm super excited about where this story is going! ❤️