bonus chapter (no. 1)

happy valentine's day my loves,

here's an au set in the 1940s of human maev and pre-army james

enjoy <3

DRIED FLOWERS!

IT WAS RAINING the first time James saw her. He'd been walking home from the movies, long strides eating up the ground, his head tilted downwards to avoid getting any water in his eyes. It wasn't down pouring, thankfully, but the soft drizzle was persistent enough that a few pieces of his hair had flattened down and hung in his vision, damp from the cool water. The streets are mostly empty, everyone either seeking shelter inside or still at work, which is why the sudden flurry of movement catches his attention.

He glances across the street, blinking at the sight of a young woman hurriedly gathering bundles of flowers into her arms from the stall set outside of a shop. Her black hair is pulled back into a sensible braid, tiny pieces clinging to her forehead and jaw as the rain washes over her.

James had never seen her before and curiosity rose up within him. After a second of contemplation the young man glances both ways before jogging across the street, coming to a stop by the stall. This close he can see the tiny signs meticulously hanging from the stall, a beautiful, curling handwriting stating prices and names.

"Do you need any help ma'am?" He asks politely, allowing the side of his lips to curl up into a boyish grin, the sides of his eyes crinkling slightly.

The young woman pauses and this close he can admire the way her hazel eyes, framed with thick eyelashes, roam over him quickly, her red-tinted lips pursing lightly in thought. Then, with a quick nod, she jerks her head to the shop behind them, the door held open by a brick placed at the bottom, "Grab as many as you can without dropping them and follow me."