Chapter 5

Rasasvada;

The taste of bliss in the absence of all thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Charise's mind it was perfectly valid, and even obligatory to talk to someone you recognize - especially a neighbor. However, when she brought up to Danny he outwardly refused, saying 'there's nothing to talk about', which made Charise wonder why her brother thought so harshly about the Sawyers.

They wandered around the market together for a bit, but after Danny got tired from stopping at every stand that sold books, and Charise couldn't bare the sight of another photograph, the two decided to split up for an hour - then they'd meet up at the pastry stand and share a blueberry pie.

~*~

It was a mystery what caught Charise's eye - perhaps it was the sparkling of the crystal blue gems or the way the sun reflected against it, either way she found herself carefully observing a small, elegant bracelet that sat in a cushioned blue velvet box.

"Would you like to try that on?"

The seller's voice made Charise jump, and then immediately turned red from embarrassment - she was stupidly captivated by the piece of jewellery she probably couldn't afford. 

"I would, thank you." Charise responded quietly, keeping her head down to avoid eye contact - she stared at the seller's shoes, they were pretty shoes with decorative laces and a one-inch-or-so heel.

The women took the bracelet out of the box and helped Charise put it on, then offered her a mirror to get a better look at it, but Charise politely declined thinking; Why in god's name would I need a mirror for a bracelet? 

"Do you like it?" the seller asked gleefully, as though prepared to dump a load of meaningless compliments onto Charise.

She nodded and rubbed her thumb along the lining of the blue jewels that were sitting comfortably in a thin silver frame. Her distorted reflection in the crystal smiled, and she looked up - finally making eye contact with the cock-eyed women. She had pretty eyes.

"What kind of gems are they?" she asked, and looked down again.

"Topaz, beautiful isn't it? It really compliments your eyes too," the women beamed, tilting her head to one side to get a better look at Charise, "If you're wondering about the price it's $402.99."

Just as Charise thought, too much. Maybe if her artwork was more creative and sold better, she'd be able to afford it. Perhaps, she'd be as rich as the Sawyers with their multiple homes and horse stables (rich people own horse, right?).

Charise sighed and turned her wrist one last time, before looking up at the seller with hot-red cheeks and a disappointed smile, "I'm sorry, I really can't afford this-"

"She'll take it, thanks." a man in a blazer and red madras shirt took out a stack of dollar bills, counted them, and gave them to the seller, who stared at him with slight surpirse.

The women took the money, re-counted it and gave them an approving nod, "You very welcome."

Charise made looked up at the man, turning even redder - this was the Sawyer son, the one she and Danny saw when the just entered the market... and she didn't even bother to introduce herself.

"Charise, right?" the Sawyer confirmed and handed Charise the small velvet box.

She carefully put the box in her purse and nodded, "Yes, and thank you for the bracelet... you really didn't have to."

"It's nothing, I had to introduce myself to my neighbour anyways," he reached out his hand, "I'm Jason Sawyer."

Charise shook it, "How did you know I was your neighbour..? And my name.."

"It wasn't a mystery," he smiled, "Dayna talked about you profoundly, and I've met your brother Daniel, so when I saw the two of you here I just figured you were Charise. You look a lot like your brother."

Thanks for talking about me mum...

"Oh.." she responded dumbly. It was true that she and Danny looked alike - in fact some people mistaken them for twins, and then they'd have to remind them that twins are born at the same time - and Danny was 3 years older.

"Well since we've met, how about we go for a stroll?" Jason suggested, and Charise felt a smile spread across her face - for seemingly no reason, 

"I'd like that."

~*~

Something about the way Jason Sawyer spoke - with confidence and a hint of smirking, made Charise want to listen to everything he had to say.

He was the younger brother - his sister Maurie, owned some fancy car business that she shoved down everyone's throat. When Charise asked him who he worked as, he responded with; "Training to be a pilot, planes are fascinating, are they not?" to which she replied, "I suppose they sound intriguing."

Jason could make conversation out of anything - that Charise learned quick. When he asked Charise what her hobbies were, she began to stammer - because what brought her joy before now made her want to hide under the covers, Jason said, "Don't you drawing? Dayna showed me some of your drawings, they're excellent."

Part of her was flattered that a rich, educated man like Jason Sawyer enjoyed her work, but another part of her was very reluctant to believe that what he said was true, "Thank you." she then said, forcing a small grin.

Suddenly remembering the promise she made to Danny, Charise glanced at her watch and realized it was time to meet him. 

"I have to go, I'm sorry." she muttered, smiling apologetically.

"No no, it's okay. Will meet again tonight," he said, "I hope you like the bracelet, speaking of which - do you want me to help you put it on?"

That same pointless smile plastered on Charise's face and she took out the fuzzy blue box. Jason opened it and took out the ornament - he carefully made the two ends meet on Charise's wrist.

Charise found herself holding her breath when he did it, trying to keep her hand as still as possible and her gaze focused solely on the barcelet.

"Thanks... till dinner?" she asked blissfully.

"Till dinner." he confirmed and gave her a final smirk-ish smile before the two of them parted ways.