Chapter 6

Morosis;

The stupidest of stupidities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its stupid right? 

To think about someone you've only had one conversation with? 

Yet Charise couldn't seem to get Jason Sawyer out of her mind. She knew how ridiculous and childish it was to not be able to keep her mind off a boy, especially a boy she'd just me.

I'm not in middle school, she told herself but her eyes kept on returning to the bracelet on her wrist and she'd catch herself doing it again - wondering if Jason Sawyer was thinking the same thing.

~*~

'Thrilled' wouldn't be the right word to describe Danny's reaction when he saw the blue topaz bracelet on his sister's wrist, and even less thrilled when he learnt it was from Jason.

"The Sawyer? He bought you that?" he asked, with a tone of annoyance in his voice, "Hadn't he just met you?"

At first Charise thought maybe Danny was just jealous, (the bracelet probably costed more than all of Danny's belongings combined) but she'd later learn that she was mistaken.

"Yes But it's beautiful, isn't it?" she said said as they walked through the patch of forget-me-nots.

Danny turned to look at it, his eyes clouded with what almost seemed as disgust, "I suppose - there's no denying it."

Charise looked up from her bracelet after what felt like ages and instead focused on her brother - The wind played with his short, ruffled hair, like a collection of autumn leaves, and she remembered their mother always getting angry at Danny when he refused to brush his hair; 'We're going to church Daniel, make your hair lay felt goddamit!', and then their father would intervene and say, 'It's never going to lay flat Dayna.' only then would their mother let out one last frustrated snort and together they'd all head to church.

Just beyond the forget-me-nots field was a gravel path that led into a small wooded area that their mother wouldn't let them visit when they were younger, but now that they were both fully grown adults they had every right to be there.

It was beautiful there, with the tall Oak trees that grew freely and sprouted fresh emerald-green leaves that would then gently flutter to the ground and onto their heads. In fact, the trees were so tall that the sun could barely even penetrate through them, which gave the forest a fairytale like feel. The grass was tall, and by now impossible to cut so it had grown to nearly up-to Charise's knees, and without the gravel path they would've probably gotten lost and ridden with bugs and ticks. 

'If you look close enough', Danny used to say when they snuck out, 'You can see small flowers in the grass.' 

Charise walked closer to the edge of the gravel path and looked down at the lanky grass, the very tips of it tickling her just below the knee, and sure enough she could see tiny white flowers scattered all over nature's carpet.

"You were right," she said, "I can see the flowers."

~*~

It was nearly 7 pm, and Charise underestimated how hard it would be to get ready. 

She decided on a dark-blue, high-waisted cotton skirt with buttons that went down the middle and a wide fabric sush belt that outlined her waist, paired with a white, boat-neckline sweater.

She picked up the blue topaz bracelet from her vanity and gently slid it onto her wrist, would he notice that she was wearing it? Would he care? Perhaps he's bought a million of these and just doesn't care anymore? Charise gave her hair a few more strokes with her brush before slowly setting it down and applying the last few tints of make-up on her too-pale face.

~*~

Makeup made Charise resemble a doll, just like the one sitting on her dresser.

Pink circles of blush on her ghastly cheeks, a tint of pale rose lipstick, a thin line of eyeliner drawn with a steady hand and long lashes, enhanced by black mascara.

Even her hair, which was styled into a loose braid somehow matched the doll's blonde, braided hair.

Charise was about to brush her hair once more when she heard the door open and loud, over-joyful voices come from downstairs, and that's when she felt her heart beat faster and she found herself holding her breath.

It's interesting, she'd later think, how we forget about everything when the person we desire is near.