Chapter 14: Part 2

The sky was just transitioning into dawn when there was a knock on my door startling me awake. Fear immediately flooded my veins as thoughts of Renatus, or someone else, had finally figured out what I knew. I could see them taking me away and standing me on the same platform Nealon was on, a noose around my own neck.

I was still on edge from the previous night's note. The innocent pieces of paper always came just when I was starting to relax and settle in.

This one, was the strangest of the them all, and also contained a valuable clue – the rebel insignia. The others had always been a warning, this note had just said "thank you." Thank you for what? I didn't know.

I only relaxed when Leda entered looking a little groggy as well. "Sorry to wake you so early, but we must get you ready. King Heinrich has just returned, and the royal family is being prepared to make a public address."

"Why so early?"

"It's apparently very urgent, I have not heard of the specifics. I just know that you are to be prepped quickly and dressed for an official ceremony."

"Well I guess let's get this started then."

My morning routine was rushed to make sure that I would leave on time. Even so Leda had still made sure I was dressed in a beautiful cream-colored fur cloak and dress and had my hair expertly braided.

Once ready I exited the palace towards the various carriages. The scene was eerily familiar. The row of carriages was being filled with court members and the royal family. But what I couldn't seem to keep my eyes off of was the carriage in the back: all black, windowless, and reinforced with metal bars. The same carriage that had pulled Nealon to his death.

A sinking feeling began in my stomach about what could be in the carriage and why it was coming to this public address, I doubted whatever it was would be good.

Preventing my continued staring I was urged into my own carriage with Soren, Gerard, and Guinevere, offering me appropriate an opportunity to ask what was going on.

"Soren, why was the carriage for holding prisoners here as well?"

"You didn't hear?" Guinevere tittered. I could tell that she was pleased at the fact that she knew more than me. "Heinrich brought back some of the rebel traitors."

"Yes, while at the compound Heinrich decided to take a few back for questioning. He is showing them today to send a message to the people about the resistance and its members."

The last time a rebel was "made an example" he was killed in front of his own family. I didn't think I could go through that again, the thought of more deaths made me shudder.

The rest of the carriage ride was filled with conversation between Guinevere and Soren. We saw many of the decorations for the Winter Solstice Festival along the way and Guinevere made a point to pick out and explain all of them.

We soon arrived in the same square that held Nealon's last breath. There were a few decorations for the winter festival making it look much happier than the last time we were here. There was also no noose on the center platform this time, and I felt myself begin to wonder: if they weren't being killed then what exactly was Heinrich planning to do with them?

I took my seat in the farthest throne just as I did the last time and I glanced around looking for Ulric. He was stood against the back wall, his hands behind his back, looking stoic as ever. I offered him a small smile, remembering our nice time from yesterday, but he barely acknowledged me and the smile soon fell from lips to be long forgotten.

King Heinrich cleared his throat to gather everyone's attention and once again stood at the front of our viewing box. He hardly looked like he had just been on a multi-day expedition to engage in battle with rebel forces. The only disarray was the tired bags under his eyes indicated his exhaustion from the ordeal. He had only just arrived at the palace a few hours ago.