Eighteen || Minor Frostbite

|| Minor Frostbite

Scott, Kira and Lydia lept to their feet, shouting as the lake took Jacy and swallowed her whole.

"No!" Stiles yelled, running down the dock after her.

Scott skidded to a stop at the edge, no where left to go but in. "Why would she do that?" His eyes flared red, searching the black water for any sign of her.

"Has she come up?" Kira asked, her tone stressed. "How long has she been under?"

Lydia was at the shore, running to the boat house to turn on the floodlight.

Light blasted through the darkness, but it showed no sign of movement in the water.

You can only hold your breath for so long.

No one wanted to say how cold it was. No one wanted to label their situation.

"Jacy?" Worry was amplified in Stiles. He didn't care that he could be stuck like this. He only wanted her to be okay.

"What did she hear that made her jump in?" Scott quietly asked, Kira next to him and Stiles on his left.

"What doesn't she hear?" Stiles mumbled, watching the water with desperation.

The surface of the lake broke, a gasp shrouded by the ripple of the water.

"There!" Kira shouted, pointing to the figure.

"Is she-"

"Oh, my God," Stiles said, his lips parting.

"Is that a dead body?" Lydia asked, starting to go up the dock.

Jacy pulled the limp girl through the water, her hair slicked against her head and neck. She swam to the dock, Scott kneeled down to meet her. "An ambulance." Her voice was being choked out by a freeze taking her body captive. "Alive, she's alive."

"Jacy," Kira held out her hands as Scott pulled the unconscious girl from the clairvoyant. "Come here."

Jacy took the kitsune's hands, letting herself be taken from the lake. She coughed, dropping onto her palms and knees by Stiles' feet.

Lydia already had her phone to her ear, speaking in a panic to someone on the other end. She repeated her address twice, "Please hurry."

"The lake is freezing, Jacy." Kira helped her up, surprised as she held her. "You're freezing. Blankets, we need blankets."

Scott looked down at the unconscious blonde, her hair cropped close to her shoulders. He focused on her heart, able to hear a soft thud. Quickly he picked the girl up and met the others at the shore.

Lydia brought a blanket for their unexpected guest as Kira sat with Jacy right by the fire. Stiles didn't want to freeze out the already hypothermic girls so he stood off to the side with his hands in his hair.

For a moment, he could feel himself slipping. It was warm and sweet and for a moment, it was tempting.

"I'm fine." Jacy sat with her knees to her chest and rested her chin down. She shut her eyes, her skin like ice.

Scott sat down with the stranger in his lap, needing to warm her up. "Who is she, Jacy?"

Jacy shook her head, placing her eyes on the fire. "I don't know."

"Here." Lydia handed Jacy her thermos of coffee. "Drink this or you could go into shock."

Kira held on to Jacy's shoulders comfortingly, able to feel her shake from the cold.