o n e

Different mean Dangerous

"Nan?" The small child, no more than twelve, ripped her gaze from the window.

"Why can't we go into the woods?" She asked her Grandmother who sat by the fireplace, her spectacles perched on the tip of her nose.

"Because its dangerous, my flower," She spoke simply her frail hands never wavering from her embroidery

"But why is it dangerous?" The child asked again annoyed at her grandmothers vague response.

The Grandmother gave up. She knew Camellia wouldn't stop until she had her answers and god forbid she search for them herself.

"Come here Camellia," She patted the spot next to her on the velvet divan.

Tripping over her feet, she lurched herself onto the emerald divan, her skirts flying, much to her grandmother's displeasure.

"What you have to understand, Camellia, is that out there is a world very different to ours. People very different from us," She voiced her horror as she clutched her heart.

Chocolate eyes gazed up at her in wonder.

"Don't look at me like that! Different means dangerous Camellia," she stressed as she tapped Camellia's head as if trying to place her own thoughts in her.

"But different how, Nan?" Her curiosity overwhelmed her

"Beasts. Monsters. Men showing a different face when the Sun turns its eyes," As much as she tried to install fear in the child it only spurred on her curiosity.

"Are there people like that in the woods?"

"Most definitely."

Camellia tuned out her Grandmother and gazed at the window she was previously watching through. She conjured up images of mystical creatures that she had read from her fathers studies and planned ways of seeking and finding them.

Could she meet one in the woods? 

Befriend one?

Oblivious to her Grandmothers warnings, as she explained how viciousness of the beasts.

"Camellia Mary Bates! Are you listening to me!?" 

Nimble fingers grasped the young girls chin tightly, ripping gaze from the view outside. Stern grey eyes glared into her own dark ones.

"This is serious, my flower."

Camellia gulped and nodded so her Grandmother would removed her vice like hold.

"Never stray from the path. Never go into the woods. Understood?" She boomed sharply like glass, hoping it would cut through and reach her granddaughters wild mind.

The young girl nodded her brown head, curls bouncing wildly.

The old woman tutted and picked her embroidery up again.

"Too much like your father you are," She muttered

"Go practise your arpeggios," She ordered flicking her grey head to harpsichord on the other side of the room.

Sighing heavily, Camellia shuffled herself over to the bench but not before giving the outside world a last glance.

 ♚  ♚  ♚

the first chapter is short - but whatcha think??

I was inspired by this picture ^^^ 

hope u like!

vote & comment ;)))