Prologue

2 years ago...

Alec and I were sitting on the sofa in the Kitchen, my head on his lap, laughing about something he had said when Maryse came in with a small smile "Amelia, dear. Someone from the Clave is here to see you." I looked at her confused but my smile never faltered.

I looked at Alec, slowly sitting up and he looked just as confused as I was. I kissed his cheek and left with my adoptive mother. "Do you know what its about?" I asked her. 

She looked at me and I saw a glimpse of sorrow in her eyes but it was gone as quick as it came. "Its best if we have this discussion with the your father and the Clave envoy." She tells me, I smile and nod. 

Walking into the Head of institute office I see my adoptive father, Robert sitting behind the desk with a lady with blonde hair on the black sofa on the other side of him. He looked at me and smiled slightly but I could tell it was forced. As soon as the, assumed Clave envoy saw me she stood up and walked towards me "Amelia Sinclair. I'm Charlotte Acker, from the Clave." She says holding out her hand for me to shake.

Without hesitation I shake her hand with a smile "It's nice to meet you Miss Acker." We go to sit on the sofa and I look at my parents inquisitively, smile still prominent. 

"The Clave has sent me here to collect you and bring you to Idris. We believe that you need to deepen you're knowledge of the downworlders and become a temporary liaison for the clave. The Sinclair's have been doing this for centuries and the Clave has decided it is time for you to continue this tradition." Charlotte tells me clearly noticing my confused face. 

I nod, still smiling "If that is what the Clave has requested, I will oblige. Will Emery be coming with me?" I ask. 

Maryse shakes her head "Emery, will be staying here. She is too young.  The Clave has never seen anyone who has the complete trust of every downworld leader in New York like you do. They trust you more than the other Sinclair's and they wish to use that." She said with pride but there was underlying when she said the Clave want to use me. 

"It is my duty, not only as a Sinclair but as a Lightwood." I say to them all, nodding. My parents look proud while Charlotte has an expressionless face. "When do I leave?" I ask her. 

"Later on today. We will give you time to say goodbye but there will be a portal sent at five o'clock this evening." I nod, trying to hide how I really feel, I don't want to leave but it is my duty. 

With that said Charlotte nods her head and leaves the Office. I just sit there in silence. 

"We are so proud of you Lia." I hear my father say. I look up and smile at him. 

"Do you know how long I'll be gone?" Maryse shakes her head and sits next to me holding my hand. 

"No. The Clave confirmed that its temporary but the length of stay id undecided." She clarified and I sighed and nodded.