Chapter 1 - The Decent Into Hell Isn't Easy

"Magnus, you're letting a 9 year old girl bullied you into portaling her around America..." I told him amused as I walked through New York. 

He sighed "I can't help it. I can't say know to her wide doe eyes. Besides, she misses Max and who am I to stop her from seeing her best friend?" he said on the other end of the call. 

I giggled at him "It's so good to be back." I tell him sighing. 

"It's good to have you back even thought the events of which you're hear are strange." he said.

I nodded know he can't see me "I agree. It happened too quickly. They said that due to circumstances I was needed to return home.... I did hear whispers of Circle members being spotted but people in Idris are always gossiping about something so I dismissed it." I told him.

"Hmm.. I wouldn't. I saw two at my club a few hours ago." He told me and my eyes widened. 

"If Circle members are back that only means that Valentine is too." I told him and he just sighed. 

I decided to lighten the tone "Regardless of the reason, i'm so glad to be home. I learnt much in Idris and it was helpful but I have missed everyone terribly." I told him smiling as I neared the institute. 

"They must be ecstatic that you're arriving home tonight." He said and I could hear the smile in his voice. 

"They don't know i'm coming. With the rush I had no time to tell them and I had them portal me a few blocks away so I could call you." I told him sheepishly and he chuckled. 

As I got to the gate of the institute I bid Magnus good-bye and walked in. Everything seemed the same at first glance but I realised in the time I had been gone the Ops centre had been upgraded with better technology. 

Walking further inside I saw the blonde hair of my brother and a smile immediately graced my face but I realised I didn't know the red head nor the brunette who stood next to him. 

Walking in the direction of the trio I heard a familiar voice "Why is there a mundane in the institute?" my heart began beating rapidly and I became nervous. He would have surly changed in the two years I was away. I had spoken to him every day on the phone as promised but seeing him in person felt different. I immediately pushed it aside and continued towards my family. 

"I know its been a while but i'd hope you wouldn't have mistaken me for a mundane, Alexander." I teased him when I was in sight of them. His head shoot to look in my direction and a smiled immediately graced his face.