Chapter 2 - The Descent into Hell Isn't Easy (2)

Alec gets out of the Van first and offers me his hand to help me out, I take it and he interlaces our hands as we move aside to let the others out. "Yeah, this place isn't creepy. Not at all." I hear Simon say from behind me. 

Izzy turned to look at him with a smirk "Don't tell me you're afraid." She asked. 

Simon scoffed "Are you kidding me? I was born afraid... which sounded a lot better in my head." He said making the two of us chuckle. 

"Let's check it out." Alec interrupted and pulled me along with him. We stop a little way away from Clary and Simon when Alec looks to Jace "Hey. If something goes wrong... if something happens to her, that's on us. You know that, don't you?" He told Jace seriously. 

Jace nodded "Yeah. And you know exactly what'd happen if Valentine gets the Cup before we do. She's lost everything, Alec. I know exactly what that feels like. And what's your problem with her, anyway? Your family always used to welcome strays." He told Alec. My grip on his hand tightened and the thought of Jace thinking he was a stray.  

Alec shook his head "You were never a stray."

Jace smiled slightly and looked between the three of us "The point is, nothing's changed. We're in this fight together. There's just... one more of us." He said and looked at Clary. 

"Clary. Come on, it's all clear." He told the redhead and began to walk in the direction of the City of bones. 

I sighed and looked between Izzy and Alec "Let's go make sure he doesn't die..." I say and begin to walk in the direction he went, Alec looking at the floor frowning slightly. 

***

When we catch up I can see Clary staring at the entrance telling her self  "I can do this."

"Yeah, you can. You're Clary freakin' Fray. You can do anything." Simon encourages her before he starts to walk towards the entrance. 

 "All right, hold up." Jace says as he puts an arm out to stop Simon from walking his demise. 

Simon looked at I\m and huffed "Surprise, surprise. No mundanes allowed, just like in the training room, right? Wrong! I've seen every horror movie ever made and the funny best friend who gets left behind... dead man." he says quickly and Izzy and I laugh slightly. 

Jace looked at him, bored "You're not that funny. But by all means, go ahead. Of course, the minute you enter, you'll die."

"Problem is, now I don't trust you." He says. 

I smiled softly at Simon "He's not lying." I said gently. 

Izzy smirked at me "Now. He was before."

"The rune energy in the City of Bones will kill any mundane who dares to enter, so, please..." Alec added and gestured for Simon to walk in. 

Izzy walked towards him "The Brothers creep me out. I'll mind the mundane." She said making me giggle.