23

THIRD PERSON'S P.O.V

The palace was a tad rowdier than the usual. Mubasshir sat in his car, about thirty metres away from the palace gates, waiting impatiently for the police to arrive. He hoped his uncle will be humiliated, dragged out of the palace in cuffs like the disgusting animal that he was. The chances of that happening were almost non existent he knew but a man could dream right?

As promised, the police were at the palace gates by some minutes after 10am. Apprehension gripped Mubasshir by the throat.

He popped open the top buttons of his kaftan because he suddenly felt claustrophobic.

"Get a grip dammit" he murmured to himself.

The guards eye the police men distastefully.

"State your business here!"

"We are here to make an arrest!" The D.P.O stated confidently. The source of that confidence being the fat envelope Mubasshir gave him when they last met.

The guards exchanged skeptical glances.

"Unless you have an appointment with the emir's court, we cannot let you through "

"Do Inform the emir of our presence please. I'm sure he will create time for us on his hectic schedule" The inspector says with a taunting smile. Hesitantly, two of the five guards left their post at the gates of the palace.

Although he knew they will hardly succeed, Sani momentarily froze in his shoes when he heard that the police had come. He knew all he had to do was sort the police men out and the whole case will be blown to hell but then but if the reason why they were here gets out, it could ruin his image. Or worse, his life.

"This is Mubasshir's doing. That dirty brat and her brothers couldn't have dared after the strong warning I sent them." He murmured to himself. He was alone now because he dismissed everyone the moment the guards came with message of the cops.

His nails threatened to dig into the palm of his hand because of how strongly his fists were clenched. He was pissed at the audacity of Mubasshir.

"Invite the gentlemen in" Sani said feigning calmness. The guards bowed and left hastily. Before they returned, he thought of a thousand horrible ways to deal with his little, insolent nephew.

****

Immediately the two men sat on the mat in the emir's empty court, two guard came in with two ghana must go bags, depositing them in front of them. The police men froze, already knowing what was in the bag.

"Open it" Sani ordered.

They did just that and the D.P.O looked like he was about to piss himself. The smell of fresh naira notes invaded his nostrils, fogging his brain instantly.

"Yallabai you-"

"Its a token of my appreciation for you, for keeping Rimi and its people safe" Sani said with a smile. He knew had them right where he wants them.

"So you said you came to make an arrest?"

They were utterly stunned, unable to form coherent words let alone answer his question. He chuckled.

"Your earlier motives seem to have faltered therefore there is something i need you to do for me"

*****

What on God's green earth was taking so bloody long?! Mubasshir couldn't stand this anxiety. And that was saying something because he is the master of keeping his emotions in check.So he did the next thing that popped into his head. He called Yasmeen.

Her voice was a soft murmur. She was sleeping! Sleeping! While he was here risking everything, going against his venomous uncle. He remembered her saying he was doing for the crown and he instantly got angry.

Why was he helping someone that didn't want to be helped? She clearly told him to leave it alone the other day but he went ahead to play hero. After they've beat him, insulted him, made him lie in the kings court and part with a thousand of his hard earned dollars. All for what? To be accused of being a green snake with ulterior motives. He got so angry at himself he felt like passing out.

"That's what you get for being so stupid and not minding your bloody business like she told you to" he muttered to himself. The sensible part of him knew that he was being unfair, saying such but the angry part, the bigger part didn't care.

Its been well over an hour since the police men made it into the palace. Knowing his uncle, they are probably bleeding out in one of the backrooms of the palace. He scoffed, putting his car on gear and driving off. Leaving behind the part of him that wanted to help Yasmeen.

***

She tried to get through to him but he won't pick or return her calls. What if something happened to him? This is why she told him to leave things alone. But he was as stubborn as a mule.

After days, he came to the phone.

"What?" He says coldly. She was taken aback for a few seconds . The she reminded herself: he is himself.

"I've been trying to reach you for days! I thought Sani did something to you"

Mubasshir scoffed in reply. She felt dumb, she just openely admitted that she was worried about him and he scoffed.

"What do you want Yasmeen? You already told me to mind my business and i promise you I'm doing just that"

Yasmeen has always been a softie. His words cut deep into her. She swallowed a sob. Sani was the only thing joining them. Now that they've decided to let Sani out of the picture, he didn't even want to talk to her and that hurt. A lot.

"I'm sorry"

"You've not done anything to apologise for. I was overstepping, you put me in my place. And from now I'll mind my business. Simple"

She wondered where this cold barrier came from so suddenly but she didn't say more.

"Goodbye Yasmeen "

####

Yasmeen wheeled her luggage down the international departure aisle after hugging her brother's for what felt like days. She had cried, for so many reasons but mostly because she was going to miss them.

She hasn't spoken to Mubasshir till date. He really didn't want anything to do with her. She thought of how awkward bumping into him in school will be although judging by how he ghosted the past few weeks, he is going to avoid her like a plague. Yasmeen rested her eyes in order to calm the storm in her head.

Fatumi was waiting for her at arrivals. She sprinted to her friend with a shriek. She missed the hell out of her.

"How was your break?" Fatumi asks.

"Eventful "